Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars in the beehive cluster discussion.

vegaandarctures

Is it really a year (a Martian year I suppose I mean) since the last visit?

I caught it then - when Mars was very bright near opposition. This time Mars will be a bit fainter at mag. 1.3, more of a balance with the faint cluster, will be interesting to see if anyone produces anything (I won't be able to).

To be honest, I've often felt M44 to be a bit of an imaging disappointment. It looks great in binoculars: a good pattern of stars at just below naked-eye magnitude, making out the general 'beehive' shape - but then very little at the fainter end of the scale. Also it lacks the lovely reflection nebula of M45.

So I think it looks best photographically when coupled with something else like a planet or a comet paying a 'visit'. This is a good opportunity because I believe that this time Mars will be right in the 'middle' of the cluster, not some way to the North like last year.

Archived