Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which guide camera.

Gunnar

Hi folks.

I am sitting here figuring about which guidecamera to buy :p It has to be one of those stand alone models. I only use my goto synscan handset, no laptop. I do have a Skywatcher St-80 tube which will be my guidescope.

Figuring about an LVI smart guider..

Which guidecam do you folks recomend..

Gunnar

Hi.

Both Lacerta MGEN and the LVI smartguider is expensive. However if they really work it maybe will be worth the money. Which one would be the best working solution then? Anyone who use any of them?

Any more suggestions..

Gunnar

Hi Riklaunim.

Hmm. I suppose every one does have a laptop. I don`t, could by one, but not so satisfied with the thought to bring a laptop outside in the dewy nights. And in the winter it gets very cold here. I`m glad if i can awoid it. Just thougt that the stand alone guider choice would be the most easy way to go. But I am newbie on this :p too!

Just after they came out, a few people bought them and several weeks later, there were a few in the buy/sell section and they went and bought a QHY5.

I'd have read through their threads and make sure that the pitfalls won't affect you. Personally I'd go with a QHY5 (or an SX Lodestar / Exview) everytime.

I am relatively new to astronomy and imaging, been into it for about 18 months, IT / Computing is my job but I resisted bringing a laptop into my viewing and imaging until very recently for a number of reasons including being sick of seeing computers all day and it adding yet another level of complexity.

After struggling with an LVI Autoguider for a number of months (I know some people like them but based on painful experience I don’t) I bought a Lodestar guide camera, brought in the laptop and Maxim DL. It has been a revelation. It hasn’t complicated matters it has hugely simplified them. I feel in control for the first time.

When I look back I should have known better.

They are good computers are!

Get hold of a 5 (or so) year old (Dell) laptop is my advice. They are very robust and you will get one dirt cheap. Check it has appropriate ports but I think generally you will find the slightly older models give you more choice port wise.

Bite the bullet and introduce a computer.

Good luck.

Steve.

My original LVI works just fine, however it is essential to get it focussed correctly in a fast scope. I use a 66mm refractor which is reduced to f4.2 and it works. At f6 and f7 it just wouldn't cut it at all.

Hi Rossco. Nice to hear your LVI is working, So I guess it can work for me if using my ST-80 guidetube.. Maybe that is why so many failure with those, using wrong guidescopes.

Still cant decide which guidecam to buy.:)

Maybe I have to follow Steves word and "Bite the bullet and introduce a computer"

I also have been getting to grips with phd and a finder guider as once i swapped over to CCD and needed a pc anyway it isn't so difficult

I can use my 314 or dmk as a guider depending on what I am using as my main cam at any given time.

Personally I'd go with a QHY5 (or an SX Lodestar / Exview) everytime.

OK folks!

At the end. I think it will be a QHY5 or Loadstar and a cheap laptop. It sounds like they are frequently used and wery popular guidecameras and that is good to hear, = lots of help out there! :)

Gunnar

Archived