Will my HEQ5 pro handle a Skywatcher 10" CF quattro?

Hi all,

I've been looking at the Skywatcher 10" CF Quattro scope for my Astrophotography but I'm unsure My HEQ5 pro will be able to handle it as the info available is a bit sketchy so I'm hoping somone here can help.

The weight of the scope is 10kg & I believe the max payload of the HEQ5 pro is 15kg. This I'm clear about, what I'm not sure about is whether this max payloaded is including the counterweights or is the payload just the scope?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

The quoted payload is for a telescope and eyepieces etc only, the counterweights are part of the mount and are not included in the payload figure. At 10kg plus any camera etc the 250 CF quattro may be a bit on the heavy side for the HEQ5 when imaging , ideally you should keep the weight to below half or two-thirds max the maximum payload capacity of the mount.

Peter

I have always assumed that the max payload relates to everything you have on the scope side of the mount rather than the counterweight side too but your question makes me realize that I actually don't know this for sure.

What I can say is that my CG-5 mount (which is roughly equivalent to your HEQ5) is not capable enough to carry my 10" newt for imaging. Also, most people seem to think that you shouldn't exceed 50% of the rated max payload of the mount for imaging... so basically I think you'd need something beefier for imaging with this scope, if that was your plan (which I assume it is if you are thinking of a Quattro).

I have always assumed that the max payload relates to everything you have on the scope side of the mount rather than the counterweight side too but your question makes me realize that I actually don't know this for sure.

What I can say is that my CG-5 mount (which is roughly equivalent to your HEQ5) is not capable enough to carry my 10" newt for imaging. Also, most people seem to think that you shouldn't exceed 50% of the rated max payload of the mount for imaging... so basically I think you'd need something beefier for imaging with this scope, if that was your plan (which I assume it is if you are thinking of a Quattro).

You are right about the payload (telescope + eyepieces etc). The CG-5 is basically the same as the Skywatcher EQ5 though. Both these mounts are a copy of the Vixen SP. The CG-5 has better bearings which are supposed to give give it a better payload capacity than the EQ-5. But it wouldn't put it in the same class as the HEQ5.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Archived