Help with choosing bins..

HI all

Im back again now the nights are getting darker and soon its ma birthday. So my wife says whatdayawant? I sit there for a while and think erm what do i want? Then it hits me i don't have a pair of bins then i also realise erm? which ones do i want:icon_scratch: So here i am asking for some advice from you guys. I dont want bins that need a tripod i want ones i can grab and use right away sorta thing. My budget (Her) is around £100. I seem to remember the First Light Optics - Celestron Nature 10x50 Porro were popular just wondering if there still the best choice.

Thanks in advance.

Clear Skies

Wakey

10X is about as strong as I would go, if steady views are the object. You are wise to look at the slightly more expensive binos, as you certainly do get what you pay for.

I have seen those red tinted objectives cast an ugly tint on everything, so I personally would avoid any glasses that feature that coating. I don't know if the binos you have in mind are like that, but that is certainly something to avoid.

Obviously, you want a pair of glasses that are collimated properly, don't cut off light to the edges of the FOV, etc. etc. Probably the only way you are going to know that is to try some out. So I would purchase from some place that has a "try it first" policy. Again, something to consider.

Hope this helps! I'm glad you are seeking a good pair of binocs. I wish you the best in your selection.

Jim S.

All I would say, is that binoculars are like telescopes - it's good optics that count and in general the more you pay the better the image will be - 10x50 or 8x40 are fine for hand held purposes.

And the suggestion of a atlas is a great idea - you can't get better than Pocket Sky Atlas for about a tenner.

andrew

I have Helios Nature Sport Plus 10 x 50 binoculars bought from James at FLO. They are a very good alrounder in my opinion for terrestial & astronomical observing.

They have performed well so far. Not too heavy at all, and can observe for decent length of time.

At weekend I grabbed a 30 minute viewing session with binos and gave excellent views of Pleiades star cluster.

Andy

Archived