Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Jet Stream

Gadget

Think that it works like this:

Low pressure systems are usually above the Jet Stream, so if South of us then we have predominently low pressure systems and unsettled weather with therefore West-East winds off the Atlantic and so damp air so clouds.

If the Jet Stream is therefore North of us we get predominently high pressure systems and so more settled weather. Not however cloudless.

If the Jet Stream is above us then I think we get very unsettled possibly stormy weather. I think that it is the storms under the jet stream that give rise to the tornado's in the US.

During the winter months the jet stream moves south, so we are north of it in the predominent low pressure systems, and in the summer it moves north, so we are in the predominently high pressure systems. This is in general but like anything weather related there is no guarantee.

The weather channels in the US always indicate the jet stream as it is highly relevant, however in the UK it rarely gets a mention.

By the way only about 70% sure that what I have said is right. As said it is rarely mentioned here in the UK so some time since I had to recall it.

Your recollection is consistent with mine. AFAIR a couple of years ago people were talking about the summer weather being so poor because the jet stream hadn't moved far enough north so we were still caught up in the turbulent effects it causes.

James

Living in southern Europe I want strong jetstreams because they scoot your lousy skies out of my way! When they slow down all your crud oozes down here and sits on my ruddy telescopes!!! Active sun means strong jetstreams, I think, so let's hear it for CMEs and sunspots and filaments and proms...

Only joking but I think the science might be right. Anyone?

Olly

Archived