Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Connecting a Nikon DSLR to a SW127 Mak

I've not tried the 127 Mak, but on the 102 Mak, I've connected my Canon 450d directly to the t thread at the read of the scope, after removing the diagonal and it's worked fine. There was no need for an extention tube, there was more than enough movement in the mirror to achieve focus on every target I tried, from pigeons in the trees at the end of my garden, to the moon and beyond.

I've had my Canon 400D connected via T-ring to the back of my 127 SLT with no extension and no problems getting focus. Again this was after removing the diagonal.

A Bahtinov Mask is handy, especially with eyes like mine! :glasses2:

Thanks guys!

I've just been talking to Martin at FLO, and am about to order the t-ring, bhatinov mask, and also an adaptor that he's not sure I'll need (!). A very good policy at FLO, they seem happy to take stuff back if you don't end up needing it - wish more companies did this, it makes you so much more willing to buy from them.

One final question - with the Bhatinov mask, will I be able to focus via the viewfinder of the Nikon, or will I need to shoot a few snaps to fine tune it?

I've done both ways with the Mak, used it with the T ring directly in the back without the diagonal and sitting pointing downwards inserted into the diagonal. I didn't need an extension tube for focus. I would a gree that a focussing mask is a good idea.

I think you'll find you'll need to shoot a few snaps to get the focus sorted... I've never been able to get the focus sorted with a mask via the viewfinder... it's just so awkward. Liveview would help if you have it, however. For the moon, you won't need the mask.

The best focus on the Moon will be achieved by focusing on a bright star, first, and then setting your scope on the moon, without changing anything. Since all astro objects are at the same distance AFA the telescope is concerned, good focus on one object should be pretty much the same for any objects. Of course some small variations come in depending on how much atmosphere you are shooting through, etc, but you can get very close if you pick out a star reasonably close to the moon as your focus target.

Remember, critical focus might change as your optics cool down, too, so check the focus against a star occasionally.

Good luck! Jim S.

Archived