Any astronomy groups in Edinburgh/ East or Midlothian meeting up?

Hi all,

Hope you're all well. I'm wondering if there are any astronomy groups in Edinburgh /East or Midlothian area who meet up regularly.

Very few of my friends enjoy astronomy & of the few who do, none of them enjoy it enough to sit waiting it out on cold nights, hoping, nay praying for for a clear spell to views the heavens. I can also see their eyes glazing over when I start to get technical & talk facts & figures.

So I'm looking for a group of like minded people in the Edinburgh / East or Midlothian area who meet up on a regular basic to talk astronomy or even just to get the scopes or binocs out & do some viewing &/or astrophotography.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

kind regards,

Jeff

There's Astronomical Society of Edinburgh who do meetings with lectures. I sent them an email looking for details but never got any reply. The meetings do look a little dry so I didn't pursue them.

The Central Scotland Observers Group do seem a good bunch and they have a fun and informative forum. I've never been to their meetings since Livingston is a little bit of a stretch for me as are their parties.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Central Scotland Observers Group.

The travelling won't be too much of a problem once I [finally!] pass my driving test & buy a small van for all my gear. I'd be happy to travel a bit to meet some decent like minded people & to get to some decent skies as there aren't many decent dark spots in East Lothian. I go to Yellowcraigs when I get the chance but the neds in their souped up death traps do spoil the ambience somewhat.

kind regards,

Jeff

I'm also a member of CSOG and you would be more than welcome at any of the observing sessions Jeff. :)

The travelling won't be too much of a problem once I [finally!] pass my driving test & buy a small van for all my gear. I'd be happy to travel a bit to meet some decent like minded people & to get to some decent skies as there aren't many decent dark spots in East Lothian. I go to Yellowcraigs when I get the chance but the neds in their souped up death traps do spoil the ambience somewhat.

We have dark skies sites scouted out throughout Central Scotland and have regular observing sessions, all the details are on the forum. One of the main reasons Paul set up the group (apart from meeting like minded folks :)) was basically for safety, if you are observing in a group the neds tend to avoid the area. :)

Here is the link to the Astronomical Society of Edinburgh.

Astronomical Society of Edinburgh

They meet once a month on George IV Bridge and there is also an imaging group that meets once a month at Juniper Green. They have access to a reasonable dark site in West Lothian. It is actually the site of the West Calder Aeromodellers club with whom they have an agreement.

I have only been to one meeting of ASE myself but would like to go to more. Some topics are inevitably always going to be found dry for some of the attendees as specific interests vary so widely. I get the impression (which may be entirely wrong) that the clubs historical association with the Edinburgh Observatory means that they have the contacts to arrange presentations by many with formal roles in astronomy and this may lend a more formal appearance to their meeting agendas, which again may increase the impression of dryness to many. However, looking at the meeting schedule for the current programme (there are only two meetings left in the current programme on 24th and 29th September) I personally think it looks to have been incredibly interesting with guests having included a musician and a comedian(!) and I am disappointed that I have not been able to get along to more meetings.

My personal impression was that ASE members are the same as all the other astronomers I have met - extremely friendly, enthusiastic and always very keen to help and I would highly recommend you go along if you can find the time.

Archived