Daft question about eq5

Dunno yet, but it has to better than having the ST80 on top of the 200, if it's clear tonight I'll let you know how the balance was.

I'd be interested to see the results, but I fear it's going to try falling over as soon as you mount it!

200PDS - 8KG

ST80 - 500g?

It'll be ok, I had the St80 on top and it ran ok enough for visual, but not enough for photography.

I don't think I explained myself too well. I use a virtually similar piggy back set up.

I'm talking about balance across the mount. Imagine looking at the mount in the direction of the polar scope.

If you have the 200PDS on the east, and the ST80 on the west, isn't it going to be hugely unbalanced (and liable to fall over) sideways?

Do you have the extended weights bar? On my standard one I was nowhere near balance... still a little bit off at the moment, just looking for a bit more weight.

My piggyback balances with the extended CW bar.

Thread hi-jack going on here but I've been after a dovetail for my ST80 ... if anyone wants to free up some space in their shed I'd be happy to accept :)

And congrats on your new mount :) I have an EQ5 too ... just no dovetails ... grrr

There's a wanted section if you want to put a post in there :)

I too use the long weight bar.

I guess that having the mass of the tube / weights further out from the centre point of rotation can cause problems in having to start and stop that mass moving, but I always though that the ideal set up it to have the CofG and the point of rotation more or less at the same point... Trying to work out if short bar/more weights or long bar/fewer weights is best... your guess is as good as mine ?

Archived