Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Artemis Capture, Atik 383L+ & SX Filter wheel...

fwm891

I've just got my camera, filter wheel and filters from Ian King.

Software installed OK, Camera fires fine, Filter wheel works from the SX test software, what I can't do is get the Atik/Artemis software to see the filterwheel.

I'm sure its pilot error and I've just not done something in the right order, or, downloaded the right drivers. Though I have downloaded everything from the SX & Atik sites plus Ascom drivers...

I have a horrible feeling that Atik will only see Atik add-ons and that I'm going to have to go with third-party capture software to get both parts working together!

Anyone any experience with these components and software - did you have probs or is it ME!!! (probably).

Oh, I'm running of Win XP pro SP3. :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Guys. Come to that conclusion. Seems I need Astroart, Nebulosity, Maxim or similar to get these two working together.

Tried the demos of nebulosity and astroart but neither will fire-up the filter wheel. Both demos are fully functional but will either not save or corrupt the save. Not tried Maxim as its more than I want to shell out at the moment.

I have the same camera + filter wheel couple of days and have the same problem :-(

What you need is working ASCOM driver for SX FW. You can download it here:

An ASCOM compliant driver for the SX filter wheel

but I can't make it running (or even install correctly) on any computer with any Windows and ASCOM version.

Look here for my posting on SX forum:

The Starlight Xpress Discussion Forum: SX Filter Wheel with ASCOM on Windows7

At what point does it fail for you?

I have ASCOM v5.5, CdC, EQMOD (simulator) and Nebulosity2 installed on my desktop PC (Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit). I just installed the ASCOM drivers for the SX filterwheel (the ones I posted above) and I could select the SX filterwheel in Nebulosity via the External Filterwheel / ASCOM (then select SX). It isn't physically connected to this machine, so I couldn't test that it actually works.

It fails during ASCOM driver installation. COM object is not registered. No error message in event log or ASCOM trace logs. Just ends in the middle and reports success.

ASCOM itself is probably OK, I have drivers for EQ6, 383L+ and QHY8Pro and no problem at all.

Polakovic - Ascom now is at version 6 and seems a lot better than the older 5/5.5 platform.

I've done a work round on mine as a temp measure. Both the Atik Artemis Capture and the SX tester softwares work under XP Pro SP3 so I've been changing the filters manually between exposures. I tend to be at the scope when I'm imaging anyway so its no great hardship.

Astroart v5 looks promising but I've not had chance to look in any depth at Nebulosity - though I do like the fact it will talk to PHD for dithering...

Ongoing at the moment...

I made my own driver implementation and have the same problem as with the other one.

I found, that the script for driver installation prepared by ASCOM 6 script generator is using .Net 2.0 RegAsm which for some reason doesn't work on any of my Windows7 machines. After updating the script to .Net 4.0 and rebuilding the installer it installs OK and works with Nebulosity 2.4.6 correctly :-)

All I want is Atik 383L+ support in Nebulosity2 for OSX and I'll never boot to windows again :-(

I've heard that Artemis Capture will only work with Atik/Artemis filter wheels and cameras.

The ASCOM install script is using the .NET 2 version of RegAsm, perhaps it isn't on your PC. That seems strange because ASCOM 6 uses .NET 3.5 which uses the .NET 2.0 version of RegAsm.exe. I'd expect much more serious issues if the .NET 3.5 runtime isn't installed.

Is your driver implementation built using .NET 4.0? I think drivers can be built that way, even though the ASCOM stuff they use is .NET 3.5. That may explaim why it needs the .NET 4.0 version of RegAsm.

Hope this makes sense,

Chris

Yes, Artemis Capture doesn't work with SX filter wheel.

I have .NET 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 on my machines and in all versions RegAsm is included. I don't know why it doesn't work with 2.0.

My driver is build using .NET 4.0, because ASCOM Conformance Checker is crashing (with no error message) with this driver if using 3.5. Driver itself works correctly with clients like Nebulosity event if built with 3.5.

Inno installer has only options to use 2.0 or 4.0 RegAsm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Two things: Gave up on trying to find a solution to getting the Artemis software to control the SX filter wheel and went down the Nebulosity 2 route.

Problem on that route too! however Terry P at SX has a new driver for the SX FW when used under the ascom 6 platform. Downloaded and ran that and everything now talking to each other... :)

Archived