Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where do I start?

Hi all, I would like to purchase a telescope for observing the moon and some of the planets. I am a total beginner. I have got a thread in the equipment help forum but I can't seem to reply?

I saw one of these....Celestron astromaster 130EQ in a shop the other day and it looked like a nice scope, is it any good? Can I connect my canon eos 500d too it? Celestron astromaster 130EQ

Hi dtokez,

In truth I would save some money ( not much more than the 130eq ) and buy a 150p or a 200p Skywatcher dob.

I say this because my first scope was also a 130eq. It has been fine for certain viewing i.e moon etc. but in truth there were a couple of problems with it.

First of all the star pointer isnt too good

secondly the plastic around the leg adjusting thumb screws cracked and wouldn't re-tighten ( with not much pressure may I add )

Also I found it a little tricky and cumbersome to use ( compared to my mates 130p Skywatcher )

Also you will be able to see so much more with the other suggested scopes, and wont be too limited.

If you do want an equatorial newt I'd go for the S/W 130p, it really does seem much better in comparison.

Hope this helps.

I'm with Martin, go for the Dob. Best beginner scopes out there, you get more view for your money that other types. Also, they are spectular but after the moon and the visible planets, you will get bored and went to move on...the Dobs can get you in the ball park for deep space objects.

Hey I have been looking and only joined two days ago. I was looking at a model similar to yourself but was recommended the Sky Watcher 150P or PL for more planetary viewing.

Sounds like these Sky Watchers are pretty good!

Hey I have been looking and only joined two days ago. I was looking at a model similar to yourself but was recommended the Sky Watcher 150P or PL for more planetary viewing.

Sounds like these Sky Watchers are pretty good!

Might be worth pointing out that the Skyliner 150P and the Explorer 150PL are pretty much the same but one has a EQ mount and the other not.

These tubes are exceptional on planets.

Might be worth pointing out that the Skyliner 150P and the Explorer 150PL are pretty much the same but one has a EQ mount and the other not.

Hi,

I've recently been looking at the Sky-Watcher's for my first scope.

Having done quite a bit of research I just wanted to point out the difference with the model numbers/letters.

The 'P' stands for 'Parabolic' and the 'L' stands for 'Long'.

With the Sky-Watcher Explorer 150mm (6"), the normal 'P' version has a focal length of 750mm and the 'PL' version has a focal length of 1200mm - The PL, apparently being better for planetary viewing and the P for DSO's...

The model numbers for the scope have nothing to do with the mount.

Hope this helps to clarify things...

It's the Skyliner and Explorer names that denote the mount type - the former being the dobsonian series and the latter on equatorial mounts. To add a little confusion, the Skyliner 150P is an F/8 scope (1200mm focal length) - they don't use the "L" suffix on the dobsonian 150's

Hi,

I've recently been looking at the Sky-Watcher's for my first scope.

Having done quite a bit of research I just wanted to point out the difference with the model numbers/letters.

The 'P' stands for 'Parabolic' and the 'L' stands for 'Long'.

With the Sky-Watcher Explorer 150mm (6"), the normal 'P' version has a focal length of 750mm and the 'PL' version has a focal length of 1200mm - The PL, apparently being better for planetary viewing and the P for DSO's...

The model numbers for the scope have nothing to do with the mount.

Hope this helps to clarify things...

Actually no, you're muddying the waters a bit.

Well while you are correct in the Explorer range (Those on the EQ3-2 mounts) in terms of the differences between them, I was refering to the Skyliner 150P Dobsonian and the Explorer 150PL being the same tubes and mirrors.

Archived