Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner shots

It was my first time doing this so hopefully I can get some feed back on what I can do to improve.

The kit I used to take these

Canon 600D

50mm F/1.8 @ F/2.5

15sec exposure

ISO 800

There are about 2 street lights that covers my back yard, one fairly close another 5 houses away so had to hide in the darkest corner hehe.

Shots taken during a full moon was pointed the camera north-ish. Would like to know if the photo turning out blue normal as the sky did seem to be pitch black at the time.

post-28902-133877661018_thumb.jpg

post-28902-133877661025_thumb.jpg

Hi, yeah that is moon glow i'm afraid :), seems you got the focus pretty much nailed though and that can be a pain as you probably found out :).

Try and do the same on or near a new moon (if the clouds allow) I think you may be shocked at the difference.

Obviously keep to the same settings..

Glen

If you do exactly what you did tonight during an evening with no full moon pointed at the darkest parts of your sky, the images will contain much more detail. A full moon literally lights up the night, you need dark black skies. Otherwise, you camera focus is very good and I see no trailing. Just wait another week and do it again.

You've Certainly nailed the focus which is the most important thing.The moon is a bit of a pain at times but remember to use it to you're advantage.Try to get some rooftops, trees, hills etc into your shots, it gives the shots a better perspective to relate to, the moon is your friend in situations like this as it illuminates the foreground or earth objects in the shot.

Another thing you can try is take about 20 pictures that are 15 seconds long and try and stack them in a stacking program like DeepSkyStacker - Free, you should even get more detail after doing that. I would probably drop the exposure time down to 8 or 10 seconds though if using the 50mm lens and try and get more shots to stack.

There is an excellent tutourial to be found here http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/73737-basic-widefield-camera-tripod.html made by jgs001 (John).

• 2 weeks later...

up the time ,lower the iso try 30 secs iso400 clip in lp filter is the forward i did a couple the other night, get some were dark with a tripod and 30 secs ,even from the back garden 30 secs is mega and get ya self used to deep sky stacker as suggested and you pics will pop out

for your first great reat job keep the good work up

up the time ,lower the iso try 30 secs iso400 clip in lp filter is the forward i did a couple the other night, get some were dark with a tripod and 30 secs ,even from the back garden 30 secs is mega and get ya self used to deep sky stacker as suggested and you pics will pop out

for your first great reat job keep the good work up

Any recommendations on filters. I've seen those Astronomik ones get recommended but not sure who much it can improve things and don't want to spent the £100+ just for very little difference.

Archived