NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade Lightbridge 12 Astro Engineering Shroud?

Hi all,

I was previously getting a Skywatcher Skyliner 300p but that has come to a halt due to supply problems. I am now getting a Meade Lightbridge 12" in the next couple of days.

Getting to my point.

Is it a must to get a shroud for this scope due to the open tube design? I am aware of unwanted light getting into the tube but will it make a huge difference or will I be able to make do for now without one? I don't want to have to spend out on one if it's not a 'must' :)

I have found an Astro Engineering Shroud for the Lightbridge 12" for £43.49.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

Ross

I had the 16" LB and had an Astrozap shroud, I tried it both with and without and from my light polluted garden it made a difference, contrast was improved and stray light reduced, from a dark site it made little difference.

What makes more difference is flocking behind the secondary mirror, actually while you are at it flocking the entire upper and lower OTA's and truss poles.

Thanks Doc,

Looks like it's gonna be pretty high on my 'must have' list then. I think I'll leave flocking for a while. I'm sure I'll make a mess of it! :)

Anyone used the Astro Engineering Shroud? Seems more to my budget but obviously don't want to buy it if it's useless.

Ross

I had a Lightbridge 12" and an Astrozap shroud was the 1st item I bought for it. Essential for my observing location where lateral lighting gets into the tube and reduces contrast noticably.

I doubt the Astro Engineering one is rubbish - it just takes a different approach than the Astrozap.

Well it arrived today. I was expecting it too be a bit scuffed up or at least have some signs of wear but no it came in absolutely perfect condition. It's basically new. I'm well chuffed. What a bargain. Just need my scope to arrive now! Ha ha. Back on Astroboot today me thinks! :)

If you miss it, get wife, girlfriend or mother to make one. It can't be rocket science.

glad you got sorted but I agree, anyone with a sewing maching could make one. I just made an end cap for my 16" scope from double layered black garden weed matting. I'm not even a girl.

Archived