Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR imaging help

Hello, I have two questions that I would like to ask. I have just started trying to image using my DSLR attched to my sw150PL scope, I started off imaging the moon as i thought that this would be the easiest and most obvious target for me tp start practicing technique etc... however the focuser does not move in close enough to gain good focus without the use of a barlow. My question is how can I rectify this or would I need to continue to use the barlow lens and secondly I am struggling to obtain sharp focus as I am only using the viewfinder and basically trial and error. Are there any suggestions you guys could make to also help get better focus on the moon.

I can't see what camera you have, but if it has liveview this will work great for getting focus, especially on something like the moon. As for onward focus travel, I've not used a newt, but I have read that you can remove the end of the draw tune barrel to reveal a t thread and you can then focus by attaching the camera directly.

Most of the skywatcher scopes have a dslr direct connection arrangement. Simply remove the lens, attach a suitable T ring adapter for your camera to the body and then attache the direct coupling ring to the T mount.

However I have seen some posts where the prime focal point on some scopes is such that even with a direct coupling the focuser can't be wound in far enough to place a sharp image on the CCD sensor of the camera

To achieve focus on my SW200P I have to attach my camera T-Mount to the 2" adaptor of the focuser.

I cannot get focus with the 1.25" adaptor...:)

As for getting perfect focus.

A Bahtinov mask is Fantastic!!

Always use mine to get focus...:)

Very cheap to buy,or you can download a template to make your own.

You have to get the specific one for your scope's focal ratio.....

Wayne

Hello Wayne, I have already fixed myself up a bahtinov mask and had a play at trying to focus arcturus, however not sure how I could apply that to focusing on the moon? If I have perfect focus on arcturus does that mean I will have good focus on all targets? I'm quite enjoying all this slow but painful learning curve that I have got myself into :)

Hello Wayne, I have already fixed myself up a bahtinov mask and had a play at trying to focus arcturus, however not sure how I could apply that to focusing on the moon? If I have perfect focus on arcturus does that mean I will have good focus on all targets? I'm quite enjoying all this slow but painful learning curve that I have got myself into :)

Never used my DSLR camera for imaging the Moon with my 200P,I use my Philips SPC900NC webcam.

But I always get perfect focus on a bright star with the bahtinov mask,before slewing round to what I want to image.(M57/M13 etc....)

So it should be the same for Moon imaging.

Wayne

I used a Canon 500D with my old 150PL (ironically, I think I'm going to buy one of the new 150PL's again!), and I could only get it to focus in prime focus, using an adapter ring to connect the camera without a lense, to the built in camera thread on the scopes focusser. Not sure if theres an adapter ring (t-ring), for your camera.)

You "might", want to consider using a Canon SLR long term, its a popular choice for a wide range of astrophotography. Or a webcam if you're more into planetary or the moon. Or a CCD camera, but thats beyond me!

Sure you might want to use all those things, but you should be able to take good astro-photos with that camera, and you will learn a LOT of stuff in the process.

I have a Nikon D-80 camera, which is definately NOT recommended for astro-photo work, but I am using it, and LOVING the learning process.

After you have turned out some reasonably good astro-photos, and decide that you like that aspect of the hobby, you should think about getting some other camera, actually designed for that type of picture taking.

BTW, does the camera take P-K lenses, or something similar ? I had several T mount lenses I used with an older Pentax film camera with that mount. So I know that if the mount is the same, you should be able to find T mounting adapters for it. Just a thought

If that is the case, you don't have to be afraid to take pictures with that camera. You should be able to do quite well with it. After you have exhausted your camera's ability, then move up to a better camera.

Jim S.

Archived