Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whoo! Finally saw a supernova!

banner001

sn2011fe in the bag!

i would say its mag 10.5 now, got a decent star chart and saw a point of light that should not have been there, checked it against stellarium and bang, 1 supernova down...!

its a really clear night here in cov, bit of cloud coming over, but got a good 2 hours of uninterupted viewing in, showed my housemate some of the sights, he was impressed...but then again he is from the wirral...most things there are set on fire so seeing something unpolluted was a real bonus for him :)

jupiter was amazing, with 150x mag i could see the 5 major dark bands on the planet (edit, according to stellarium we also should have been able to see the great red spot, but didnt see it by eye, to be honest we only looked at it for 2 minutes at the end so probably saw it but it didnt register...will try harder next time), io was intensley orange...amazing conditions, which was odd as it feels quite humid? transparency was excellent, got in some double stars, M27, M57, M2, M15, cocoon neb, blue snowball...a good nights observing!!!

Archived