Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Higgs Boson - Higgs Field etc

Hi all,

I watched The Big Bang Machine with Prof. Brian Cox a couple of weeks ago (it was very good), and just wanted to confirm a few things.

I think what Brian Cox was trying to say, was that every piece of matter which has mass, interacts with the Higgs Field, which is everywhere around us. Therefore, particles such as photons, do not interact with the Higgs Field, which explains why they have no mass. I think I get this...

Where I get confused, is the fact that he said that 'every field has a corresponding particle'. So, to prove the existence of the Higgs Field, scientists are looking for the Higgs Field's Particle - the Higgs Boson.

So what other 'fields' are there? Does a gravitational field have it's own corresponding particle?

Clear Skies

Luke

So what other 'fields' are there? Does a gravitational field have it's own corresponding particle?

Yes - the electromagnetic field has the photon (been around for a while!).

The weak has the W and Z particles (found in 1983).

The strong force the gluon (found in 1979).

Gravity the graviton (still theoretical).

• 4 weeks later...

Curved space produces a force.

Gravity and accelleration are equivalent forces.

Curved space is caused by the limiting factor of momentum. With acceleration it is the speed of light. With gravity it is found at the plank scale. ie there is a maximum rate of angular momentum at an infinetisimal point. Momentum is energy. Without the universe setting limits we would could have the possibility of infinity energy (like the Ultraviolet Catastrophy) which is not permissable by the laws of nature. To avoid this accellerating objects have to have their momentum turned into a different plane. With the speed of light space it is turned more into the time domain for example. With the gravitational force, the energy at a particular location is turned also into another plane at right angles to it. Light becomes more particle like. The angular momentum of infinetismal small objects appear to us to move more sluggishly as from our point of view thier time is slowed. They appears to us to of gained Mass. So basiclally to produce mass you just need alot of high energy contained at one location. Mass does not cause curve space... curved space causes mass!

Who needs a higg boson?

• 2 weeks later...
Curved space produces a force.

Gravity and accelleration are equivalent forces.

Curved space is caused by the limiting factor of momentum. With acceleration it is the speed of light. With gravity it is found at the plank scale. ie there is a maximum rate of angular momentum at an infinetisimal point. Momentum is energy. Without the universe setting limits we would could have the possibility of infinity energy (like the Ultraviolet Catastrophy) which is not permissable by the laws of nature. To avoid this accellerating objects have to have their momentum turned into a different plane. With the speed of light space it is turned more into the time domain for example. With the gravitational force, the energy at a particular location is turned also into another plane at right angles to it. Light becomes more particle like. The angular momentum of infinetismal small objects appear to us to move more sluggishly as from our point of view thier time is slowed. They appears to us to of gained Mass. So basiclally to produce mass you just need alot of high energy contained at one location. Mass does not cause curve space... curved space causes mass!

Who needs a higg boson?

But Gravity causes curvature in 4D SpaceTime

What about the limiting rate of curvature, what happens when space-time curves in on itself, can it wrap round its own fabric.

What happens to time in these scenarios

What happens to mass in these scenarios

Think i've entered the Twilight Zone here ...:rolleyes:

But Gravity causes curvature in 4D SpaceTime

What about the limiting rate of curvature, what happens when space-time curves in on itself, can it wrap round its own fabric.

What happens to time in these scenarios

What happens to mass in these scenarios

Think i've entered the Twilight Zone here ...:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you mean by "can it wrap round its own fabric". Do you mean spacetime is compact (in the mathematical sense)? It can be shown that any compact spacetime contains closed timelike curves (time travel).

I'm not sure what you mean by "can it wrap round its own fabric". Do you mean spacetime is compact (in the mathematical sense)? It can be shown that any compact spacetime contains closed timelike curves (time travel).

Just trying to conceptualise an energy field so strong that it curves space time so much that it can

[1] wrap back onto itself ie CTCs to a contractible point

[2] wrap over itself more than once ie CTCs in a non contractible sense.

So good example could around surface of a Black Hole

Just trying to conceptualise an energy field so strong that it curves space time so much that it can

[1] wrap back onto itself ie CTCs to a contractible point

[2] wrap over itself more than once ie CTCs in a non contractible sense.

What does "contractible point" mean?

So good example could around surface of a Black Hole

What does this mean? What is the "surface" of a black hole?

Neutrinowave, in flat space there is no force no energy no virtual particles. In curved space we get a force. If it is curved towards smaller scales we have Gravity. If angular momentum increases towards smaller scales, then at right angles to the force of Gravity we have twisted space-time 5D.Rotating twisted space-time in the shape of a double helix gives us the force of electromagnetism. Twisted beading along each opposing side at high frequencies gives us particle-antiparticle pairs, the mesons. That's just my guess and can not be corroborated in anyway by the way.

Archived