NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 4 September 2011

Paul Haese

Finally picked up my first image of Jupiter for this apparition. Seeing was very average if not slightly poor. For the most part the video had a flag like wave which indicated the presence of a high jet speed. If that had not been present then I think the seeing would have been quite good.

Despite all this I manage to capture an image with some detail and red spot Junior transiting. Ganymede can also be seeing with some albedo detail.

Not a great start to the season but better than some of the seeing last year. This is my first Jupiter with the Flea3 too. So the image appears a lot smoother than with the Skynyx 2-0.

Tired but happy.

Click here for image

If the image looks a little washed out, then this is because of the amount of work I had to do to get the image looking this good. The data was quite frankly pretty ordinary. Jupiter is only 43 degrees here in Southern Australia, which does not help.

Archived