Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help please!

DaveGarland

You're obviously using too much gain with the camera Dave, which is why it is burnt-out/overexposed.....

It's been a long time since I've used a Toucam-type webcam - are you using wxAstroCapture..?

For whatever framerate you select the histogram will display the level of exposure you're getting, which is primarily dependant upon the gain value you set for any one framerate.....to avoid over-exposure the histogram should never read 100% or more (ie, the graph shouldn't stretch the full horizontal distance across.)

With these types of cams and that capture program I used to set the histogram at around 90%.....the onscreen image and details you can see therein give you a pretty good idea of what's happening.....you might like to try a bit more image scale with a barlow and/or extension tube, but by not over-exposing you should be able to get an onscreen image where at the very least the SEB & NEB reveal themselves as clear and sharp bands (as long as seeing cooperates!:))

Hi Dave,

As Kokatha man said you have "burnt" Jupiter :-). I use SahrpCap for capturing and use the following approach: set the gain to ~44 then play with the exposure till you get Jupiter show detail, if the image from the capture is still a bit burnt lower the gain (not lower than 32 though) if the image is a bit too dim increase the gain a bit. It is a good practice to get the capture to be just a bit dimmer than what looks good :-)

In any case put the Gamma at zero or very near to that (not more than 5)

As for frame rate I have experienced a lot with it and for me 10fps seem to get the nicest results, however I know people get good results with 5 and also with 30fps so try it out and see what works best for you.

Hope this helps

Dror

just looks a little to much of both gain and expo 10 fps is average and what to use if see in is not to bad,5 fps it needs to be great seeing to use that higher frame rates are ok but the higher the fps the darker the image may become

what software you use in to get your videos? are you use in v lounge ? a bit more info on all this may help you got a good shot of the moon heres a video i did on how i use sharpcap and my sharp cap settings hope it might help cheers pat

sharpcap settings - YouTube

ps could you post your settings and yourcapture software

Wow I burnt Jupiter! I feel even worse now lol! Seriously though thankyou for your advice everyone. I'm not actually sure what settings I used there as if I'm honest I was randomly playing around but it was Vlounge I was using to capture. I'll certainly try your advice and hopefully I can post a better picture very soon.

Thanks.

Try these settings with Sharpcap

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-4

Brightness=108

Contrast=34

Saturation=29

Gamma=11

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=21

You might need to turn down the brightness as I last used these on Saturn (Pic next to my name).

Well ive had another go with your help and here it is. Bert, i took your advice on the barlow and halleljah! Bands! And Philhas your software settings were a fab help. The bad news is the seeing was awful, a huge moon and plenty of high level cloud but im now sure im on the right tracks and can improve from here.

Thanks chaps :)

Jupiter1.bmp

Archived