Leave scope outside

Tony,

The problem will be moisture, both externally fom rain and due etc, but also inside the cover should condesation form. Whilst the mount should be OK, it's not the best environment for the elecctronics, at best the metal around the din sockets could start to rust over time. Is there anyway you could get someone to modify a small shed so it rolls off to allow viewing ?

When we are camping we put the scopes outside under a ventilated cover for 8-10 days and never yet suffered any side effects despite the weather going from very hot to chucking it down with rain and cold.

A few days is fine on a temporary basis but not to be considered as permanent storage. These are the covers I use:

Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics

If you make up a few of bags of silca gel dessicant and place one under the canopy with the scope then it should keep it drier for at least a day or two. You would need around 100g in each bag. You dry them out in the oven when the crystals change colour. By having several bags you can always have some ready to use, store them in the clip type sealing food stoarge boxes.

You can get them free by collecting them from packaging for yourself and friends.

You need to be careful doing this long-term because it will destroy the mirror coatings (I speak from experience). What happens is that the mirror cools during the night and then dew forms on it in the morning as the air warms but the mirror doesn't catch up. You may never see this dew, as it will be gone by mid-morning. However, pollution and other stuff dissolves into the dew (which isn't hard water so has no buffering capacity for acids and bases) and slowly eats away at the coating. I have kept a scope in an unheated wooden garage and that destroyed a coating. The solution is to shove a 15 W bulb under the mirror, to keep it above ambient.

Whilst browsing the net came across this

Building the TARDIS Micro-Observatory

1_large.jpg

Just goes to show a pier cover doesn't have to be boring :)

Epic.

That probably houses a collection of the world's finest dobsonians, including a selection of 16" solid tubes :D

And an EQ8 ;)

Plenty of space under that tardis!

Mike

When we are camping we put the scopes outside under a ventilated cover for 8-10 days and never yet suffered any side effects despite the weather going from very hot to chucking it down with rain and cold.

A few days is fine on a temporary basis but not to be considered as permanent storage. These are the covers I use:

Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics

I use that cover too and haven't had any problems whatsoever other than one of my cats peeing up it. The pee then runs down into the grass and makes it sticky, smelly and unpleasant to be out there.

Looking forward to building a pier so at least the pee can be collected into a smaller area.

All the best,

Mike

My Orion Sirius EQ Mount (HEQ5 Pro Equivalent) has been kept on my pier for nearly four years with no problems at all. The connectors have no signs of degradation and have never had any issues. I wrap the mount in several towels then a tough car seat cover then a re-inforced water proof kit bag (used to keep camping gear dry).

Bear in mind this the mount only and not my scopes

Regards

Kevin

Archived