Comet Gerradd and the Coathanger

This is my attempt at Comet Gerradd as it approaches Brocchi's Cluster. Difficult shot, because the thing just won't stand still :). I took it through a 300mm Nikor lens. 35 second exposures - in the end, I could only stack ten before the movement of the comet caused bluring.

I was surprised to see the green tail.

post-26426-133877655738_thumb.jpg

Hi

When you was taking the image I was looking at this from East Sussex, Herstmonceux mist rolled in and put a stop to that so I headed for home but Ton bridge was clear dam, I understand what you mean about it moving it moves around so quick so this is a really good catch, well done

Doug

Essex

Super image!

In DeepSkyStacker there is a comet stack mode. Select each individual image and click on the comet tab, locate the nucleus and do the same for each image. When you go to stack there should be a comet option. Also search in the help, it guides you through very nicely.

Jordan. :)

Thanks all. I think it was about 11pm last night from Crawley.

I saw your image as well Dave, which was very sharp and well focussed. I take plenty of long expusure pics through my refractor, but this was my first attempt at a widefield using a camera lens (Nikkor 70-300) and I found it really difficult to focus.

JCJC - yes, I thought of the comet alignment on DSS. I might try that. But, I guess that would cause trails on the stars. I wanted to get a good pic of the Coathanger, because it's something me and my kids come back to often with binoculars.

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks Francis. I'd like to try some widefield shots with this lens over the winter. Perhaps some pictures of Orion. This is my first attempt, and it's not as easy as I thought it would be. Piggybacking the DSLR on my scope was not easy. And there was no filter. I normally use a Hutech IDAS filter, but the version that screws onto camera lenses is really expensive!

Super image!

In DeepSkyStacker there is a comet stack mode. Select each individual image and click on the comet tab, locate the nucleus and do the same for each image. When you go to stack there should be a comet option. Also search in the help, it guides you through very nicely.

Jordan. :)

post-26426-13387765673_thumb.jpg

I'd forgotten about the comet stacking in DSS. I gave it a try and it worked. But, as usual with DSS, it seemed to remove all the colours and burn out the image.

But, that inspired me to try two different alignments and stacks with Nebulosity - one on the stars and one on the comet. I then merged the two stacks in Photoshop.

The result is 45 minutes of data. The extra data has brought out some more detail in the stars. Especially with NGC 6802 to the left of the Coathanger.

Cheers,

Tom.

Archived