Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alt Az Mounts

Coco

Are Alt AZ mounts too expensive or are they just not popular? It seems to me that they offer Refactor and SCT/MAK users enormous flexibility, a bit like Dobsonians for Newtonian owners.

Since getting more interested in Observing I'm less familiar with you posters on the observing section, so am more ignorant about your equipment. :)

Are Alt AZ mounts too expensive or are they just not popular? It seems to me that they offer Refactor and SCT/MAK users enormous flexibility, a bit like Dobsonians for Newtonian owners.

:)

I use a Giro III for my 80mm refractor and also plan to use it with an 8 inch SCT by the end of the year once I have found a decent one second hand nearby.

A link to a previous thread where I detailed my setup

http://stargazerslounge.com/1914809-post149.html

hi Guy

you may know but don't forget that if you have a decent EQ mount you can often convert it to alt/az mode by pointing the mount at 90 degrees rather than e.g. 53.

see this thread where I came to this conclusion. http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/106456-eq-alt-azimuth-giro.html

That's exactly what I've just done with my CG4 mount for use with my Coronado PST. I first thought that I could use it if I set the Alt at zero, but that did not pan out so I googled and found a recommendation on the cloudy nights forum so have now set it at 90 degrees. I did have to remove the pivot bolt (removing the logo and degree panels to get access) and lift the head up over a restriction. Tricky to get 90 degrees but with little filing down it was done and I think it could be reset back to standard if required.

Very solid too :)

Archived