NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did I see moons or just stars?

Manok101

I was looking at Jupiter tonight and i noticed a moon set up kind of like:

. . 0 . . . Not exact, but were all of these moons? Or is one of them a star thrown in the mix? Can I see more than the 4 big moons with a 10"? Or was I just seeing things? The ones that weren't the big ones were very hard to see.

You often see some stars mixed in with the moons, but the moons are much brighter. I was looking at Jupiter around midnight and saw (5", you'll see many more stars):

W E
a O b c d e

where:

a: Ganymede

b: Io

c: Europa

d: HIP 11884 (Star, Mag 9.2)

e: Callisto

As bunnygod says. keeping track of the motions is interesting. You should be able to get a good view of moons transiting Jupiter with a 10" scope too, magazines publish the times of these events.

This was my first time looking at Jupiter on a clear night with my 10" scope, and was amazed at the detail, I've got a couple of color filters, would one of them bring out the bands more? I kept seeing halos around things, and couldn't tell if it was my scope, the glass of the eyepiece or what, but compared to my 4" it was amazing.

I had a similar experience to this when seeing jupiter for first time a few weeks back. We could see what looked like 5 moons through an 8" reflector and 6"inch dob, neither of us were sure if we should be able to see more than 4, guess we were looking at 4 moons and a star too.

we had a member of the public at our observing session 11 pm on Sunday evening say she could see 5 moons. we checked the following morning on Stellarium and it proved to be HIP 11884 as well. they were all perfectly in line

Archived