NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What have I caught?

ChrisEdu

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please move if deemed more suited to elsewhere.

I have just been trying to take some photos of Jupiter, simply using my Nikon and 70-300mm lens. I have noticed though, when looking at the photos taken in succession, there appears to be an object that was not visible to the naked eye moving across the sky below Jupiter.

The object appeared to be moving steadily across the sky, heading south, between Hip12832 and Hip12828 and was in photos taken between circa 2.30 and 2.50am (the period I was taking them).

Any ideas? I'll try to post the photos later.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say it was almost certainly internal reflections within the optics, I'm afraid.

What, do you think maybe relection of Jupiter? In other photos that I took, e.g. of Pleiades there is no sign of the 'thing'.

One thing I will say, I can see how easily people can get sucked into the world of imaging! It is cool seeing things you can't see! :rolleyes::)

I just need to learn how to do it with my Nilkon and lens to start with. Any advice gratefully received, or pointers to where I can find out more! I was using a Nikon D300 with the 70-300mm lens and exposures from 2.5-30secs at various ISO speeds.

I still say it's a reflection in the optics. Very common when you get something really bright in the field of view, like Jupiter.

Would that explain the apparent movement across the field of view though?

If it is clear tonight, I shall have another go at recreating the same set of conditions and see what happens.I have experienced what I'd imagine to be internal reflection from the Moon on long(ish) exposures and found that they went with short exposure times.

I've had exactly this defect.

The refection is often a mirror around both axis.. it's location is bang on for this type of artifact. I've seen it in my camera with a bon fire and the reflection was inverted.. It will only usually show up in images where a significant overexposure is seen.. as in this case. in your Pleiades case the overexposure will be much less as the maximum brightness is 3.7, where as Jupiter is now at -2.6, that's over 6 magnitudes brighter (well over 100 times as bright).. have a VERY careful look (compared with a 180 degree rotation image) and you will probably see a faint Pleiades artifact.

hope this helps

Derek

...Would that explain the apparent movement across the field of view though?...

Yes. I've had similar effects to the phenomenon you've described and it also appeared to move, presumably because the distance from the reflection to the object changes depending on its position in the frame.

Trust me. It's a reflection!

Ok - I've just been having a look at some of my previous over exposed Moon shots and can see something similar, with the same colouration. I think it's looking pretty likely that internal reflection is the answer. I guess, the apparent movement across the sky would be explained by Jupiter's apparent motion from north to south then being reversed by the reflection, hence the south to north movement.

Thanks for the help, chaps. I guess the answer would be to use shorter exposures next time? Would Registax be suitable for processing such exposures? If so, could someone please point me towards a simple 'How to'? Thanks.

Not sure there's much you can do about it. Even high-end equipment struggles when there's something really bright in the field of view. For example, imaging the Horsehead and Flame nebulae in Orion can be a problem due to the bright star Alnitak nearby causing reflection problems.

Well, I have found that reduced exposure times worked when photographing the Moon. At first, with that, I was really bemused, having not encountered the issue in my 'normal' photographic work. Would this be likely to happen if I used a T-mount to attach my camera body to the scope? I'm assuming it wouldn't, as there'd be no camera lens.

I've had the problem in at least 3 different lenses, a praktica B, a carl zeis and now my latest canon

I've never had it in a scope, but then I use Newts.. With multielement refractors I would want to check them out for this.

Derek

Hahaha! Thats a really odd image, i would dare say UFO, but maybe optics reflection.

Anyway from our experience yesterday... theres no way you will get to recreate the image as i am sure you have no idea which part of the sky top look. If it helps i think it was somewhere south... maybe 40inches below Jupitor and say 5cm to the left. Hahahaha :)

Was a hilarious night of viewing! I really enjoyed yours and Swamp Things Company. I sure won't want to go alone so often.

The highlight of the evening was comet Gerrad, now i understand my Messier created his list. It sure looked like either a neb or galaxy.

Shame the seeing was so bad, i am sure the sky there will be much better with good seeing. I hope next time we meet up the moisture content is in the 80's.

Hahaha! Thats a really odd image, i would dare say UFO, but maybe optics reflection.

Anyway from our experience yesterday... theres no way you will get to recreate the image as i am sure you have no idea which part of the sky top look. If it helps i think it was somewhere south... maybe 40inches below Jupitor and say 5cm to the left. Hahahaha :)

Was a hilarious night of viewing! I really enjoyed yours and Swamp Things Company. I sure won't want to go alone so often.

The highlight of the evening was comet Gerrad, now i understand my Messier created his list. It sure looked like either a neb or galaxy.

Shame the seeing was so bad, i am sure the sky there will be much better with good seeing. I hope next time we meet up the moisture content is in the 80's.

'Twas indeed a good evening. Fun gazing and a good laugh! We'll have to arrange a power cut for the Sussex coast for next time! :(

Archived