Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A newbs plans

I am new to the hobby and am really enjoying getting to know the sky and naviagate my way around. I bought a book " Stargazing for beginners" and a Celestron firstscope. I know it isnt recommended to buy a scope early doors but it has given me an in sight into scopes, viewing through scopes, eyepieces and general gazing.

Im not planning to buy a telescope in the immeadiate future but when i do it will be for looking at planets, nebulae, galaxies stars, everything really. I think reflector is the way to go for me.

The 2 scopes i have come across that seem to fit the bill, low budget but decent all-rounders. Celestron Astromaster 130EQ, with or without motorised mount, although the motorised mount hasnt had the best reviews. The second is Skywatcher 130p. Again possibly with a motorised mount.

Later purchase will be a set of EPs. THe Revelation Set on FLO seems to cover most bases although i have seen some sets of Plossl EPs that also look to fit the bill.

Which of the scopes would people recommend or have i missed a trick altogether?

Agree with the above comments and would definitely advise sticking with the 130P.

The Celestron scope itself is fine but the mount is poor and clearly supplied at a price. Observing therefore becomes a bit of a nightmare with the scope shaking around every time you touch it, be it to move the scope's direction or when attempting to focus. The red dot finder is simply too bright and masks the very object you are attempting to align with. A shame really as the scope itself is fine - its the rest of it that makes it a poor buy.

James

If you are on a tight budget and really fancy a reflector maybe you should think about a dobsonian? I would suggest something like a Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian. A 6" dobsonian will give really nice views and are definitely the option I would go for if I wanted to spend under £200 and get the best telescope I could possibly afford.

Just thrown another spanner into my own works.

Do I a) Spend £150-£200 on a Skywatcher 130p. or :) Save for a bit longer and get a 200p?

I think i know what the verdict will be but still welcome opinions.

I would wait until you have met the requirements to see the for sale area and wait for something to come up there.

Your £150-£200 budget will go much further there.

Archived