Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars and what i think is Jupiter, help?!?!

Wow thanks guys, i think i will be definately getting a tripod tho as the star party in october that im going to will most likely be freezing cold night and i think no matter what i try then i will still jiggle them all over the place lol :-)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is clear in W Yorks then at 20:46 (12 minutes time) the ISS goes over.

Starts out in the West and should be easy to see it travel across the sky.

West being the other direction to which you see Jupiter.

11 minutes now.

Hi kerryann,

I had the same bins when i started not long ago, they are fantastic! Regarding the "wobble" situation when holding them i went and bought a tripod from my local ASDA to get me by why i was learning. Think it was only £12 and it was great, i also just used the suplied tripod adapter u have with the bins, it screw to your bins then threads straight on to the tripod. It helped alot costin hardly anythin, with this setup you can get some really beautiful detailed views of the moon, also nice views of jupiter and also if you look very carefully with these bins you can just about make out the shape of saturn & its rings all by spendin £12 on that tripod n not having that "wobble"

Have fun!

Mark.

i am going to look in to the google sky maps and definately going to get a tripod once i get paid again. i think i will spend most of my time reading these days as i havent had a clear night since seeing Jupiter..... just my luck lol x

haha i only no where jupiter is!!! and then 1 or 2 of the constellations, its harder with bins coz stars appear that u never see while just looking up, im forcing myself away from the window and computer now or i will stay up all night, see ya x

I've just been looking at Jupiter with some old 25x10 binos I had lying around, pretty sure I saw some light reflecting from one of its moons in the lower left. Despite being a blurry image due to the cheap old binos I'm surprised by the ease of viewing and could see different colours although not too clearly. I'll definitely be buying some better binos before eventually buying a telescope. This was the first time I've viewed anything other than Mars through any viewing device. I can definitely see this hobby getting very expensive for me.... Lol

Yes AdzNWMT i think it will be an expensive one for me too, now iv seen jupiter through the bino's i want a scope now to see it bigger lol, its the only individual thing i no where it is in the sky, the rest is all still guess work for me, i did see a really bright star directly above me and then slightly above/below depending which direction u look there was 2 stars quite close together. i was trying to use stellarium to figure out what they may have been as the 2 close stars couldnt be seen with the naked eye........ hate not knowing lol

At the minute I've been using the Google Sky Map Android app to find things or to confirm things, although it's usually slightly out because I never turn the phone GPS on.

I was surprised when I first spotted Jupiter and made the call before confirming on the app.

Astronomy had never been a hobby of mine and I had very little interest in it until watching Wonders of the Solar System and seeing the Hubble Deep Field picture. Now I have both of Brian Cox's Wonders series on Blu Ray and the History Channels "Universe" on blu ray and I'm hooked. Now I always find myself looking up if I get the chance, so this is definitely going to get expensive lol.

haha yes i no you cant help your self. i can be out with friends or anything and realise its really dark so i try to see whats around me even then. its a good hobby tho as you will never reach the end of stuff to find or look at. i came upon jupiter by accident too, just looked out my window and could see this bright object so checked it in the bino's and asked on here and that confirmed it..... enjoy it

Archived