flocking

Flocking was invented to give Astronomers something to do on a cloudy night.:)

It can improve contrast,noticable particularly on bright objects or conversely when looking for faint objects in less than ideal conditions (eg when the neighbours light is on.)

Results with flocking will vary with telescope type & mechanical construction.

Expect smaller improvements starting with a well baffled telescope than with a poorly baffled or unbaffled telescope.

A word of warning: potentially there is much harm to be done by flocking- you will need to dismantle your scope to do this properly-potentially voiding any warranty, & the self adhesive variety of flocking will stick nicely to optical surfaces, so be sure it doesn't get chance! :rolleyes:

You also need to be confident you can reassemble everything as was & realign the optics as/if necessary.

I've flocked a couple of scopes, pleased with the results, so definitely a pro flocker, but just think the job through carefully first.

Biggest flocking improvement was on my 50mm finder- can definitely pick out m57 in it now, but not before.

Check out this guide.

Flocking a Newtonian - How To

:rolleyes::D

Wow! - that's total overkill :) (can't knock the enthusiasm though!) - there's no point in completely flocking the entire tube - it's a waste of time and money.

All that's needed is simply to flock any surfaces that can be seen from the point-of-view of the eyepiece (in other words, put your eye to the scope without an eyepiece in place, and have a look around). In the case of a Newtonian that's just the area of the tube opposite the focuser, and the couple of inches or so of the main tube at the mirror end.

I don't agree :rolleyes:

If you look into the tube, some of them, reflect very brightly. With flocking you get everything dark. And since you are going to dismantle the primary mirror you will be better flocking everything.

On the other hand, your eye won't see such a big difference. It can be more important to put a dew shield in front of the tube so that stray light doesn't get into the focuser.

Ricardo

If you look into the tube, some of them, reflect very brightly.

Yes indeed - and it's entirely irrelevant. If it doesn't reach the eyepiece it cannot affect the view. But if people want to get all superstitious and unscientific and flock even the outside of their telescopes, well, who am I to disagree? :rolleyes:

hi there i flocked my SW300p tube and waited one day for the glue i used for the edges to cureas i flocked the lot,,and tested it it was super black thats for sure ,and i would say it did make a small diference but i do have a dew shield on all the time .the astro zap one it makes the inside sweet as well,if you can aford the cash to do the lot then do so,if not just a couple of sheets oposite the focuser

Archived