Calling all owners of larger scopes

Hi All

I have a couple of scopes at the moment and will be selling one to part finance a new mirror set.

However I have a couple of questions in my mind:

1/ Is the jump from 16" to 20" large enough that a real difference is evident, or will I need to go bigger (22")?

2/Is there enough difference between a 20" and a 22" to justify the extra cost, The 22" is another £1000?

Any replies gratefully received.

Hello

I have no experience in 16" vs 20", but 8" vs 14" vs 20". It is much depending on how dark skies you have. On 5 mag skies a 20" cant benefit it's huge light gathering power and an 14" is sufficient. On 4.5 mag skies an 14" vs 8" gives a real improvement. You need rally dark skies to benefit an 20". There the 20" will go deeper than an 16".

Cheers Martin

If light grasp is the improvement that you are looking for, the ratios for 16", 20" and 22" are 64, 100 and 121 respectively, so there is quite a jump from 16" to 20" but not so much to 22". One of the biggest difference (apart from cost) is the manageability, I have a 30" F4.1 that is awaiting a rebuild and installation in an observatory as it is rarely calm enough to use it in the open air. :rolleyes:.

Always tough to give advice. My club owned scope is a 16" Dob, and a member has a 20" Dob. I would say that there is a noticable difference on deep sky. However the 16 does not need a ladder, the 20 does, and is much less portable.

Given the choice between 20 & 22, I would choose the one with the better mirror, good construction and smooth movements, and forget the difference in light grasp.

Good luck in your choice, Ed.

Hi

If you halve them the comparison is roughly the same.

So a 16" to a 20" is like the jump from 8" to 10" which is easily noticeable.

The jump from 20" to a 22" is like the difference of a 10" to an 11" not very noticeable.

Obviously the jump from 16" to 22" is better but for the extra cost against how many nights a year you can get the most out of this aperture, I think that 20" is probably as big as one would need go, in this country.

If you are in a foreign country with better skies then ignore me. I am sure some of the peeps abroad can help.

20" is the size that I will be going to next after very long deliberation.

Regards Steve

Archived