AZ goto Latitude and Longitude

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have checked them again

and in digital format which I took them from gives it as 53.627

but on the the other way it gives it as 53 37, why is that?

Ah well I'll try this and see what happens

Rich

The Synscan goto handset requires the longitude and latitude in degrees and minutes. The minute component of the coordinate will be between 00 and 59. 53.627 degrees works out at 53 degrees 37 minutes. You should also make sure that the longitude coordinate is entered correctly. The handset will accept 001 36 W as your longitude because the minutes are below 59 but will be incorrect for your location.

Peter

the hand set doesn't use the decimal format which you have written down. You need the degrees and minutes format.

Convert the -2 of your format to 002 and that should be fine.

I googles a dec to minute converter and yours comes out at

-2.29766 comes out as -2 17 51 change this to 002 17 51

53.5765 comes out as 53 34 35

so on my handset Longitude is first so put in 002 17

then latitude is 53 34

That should be fine

Rich

the hand set doesn't use the decimal format which you have written down. You need the degrees and minutes format.

Convert the -2 of your format to 002 and that should be fine.

I googles a dec to minute converter and yours comes out at

-2.29766 comes out as -2 17 51 change this to 002 17 51

53.5765 comes out as 53 34 35

so on my handset Longitude is first so put in 002 17

then latitude is 53 34

That should be fine

Rich

Hi Rich

I'm having the same problem :)

My Latitude comes out as: 51.2419894 & Longitude as: -2.3006705 so.......into my handset I put the following:

002 18 and 51 14.....?

Maybe this is why when I try to setup the GOTO the mount seems to slew to any old direction and the 'alighment' stars available in the handset aren't visible in the night sky :icon_scratch:;):(

Thanks in advance :hello2:

Hi Rich

I'm having the same problem :)

My Latitude comes out as: 51.2419894 & Longitude as: -2.3006705 so.......into my handset I put the following:

002 18 and 51 14.....?

Maybe this is why when I try to setup the GOTO the mount seems to slew to any old direction and the 'alighment' stars available in the handset aren't visible in the night sky :icon_scratch:;):(

Thanks in advance :hello2:

Did you remember to also select W and N for your longitude and latitude?

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may be having a similar problem

I somehow from somewhere had my coordinates as 2,7 1200 W 53,33N and have been trying to enter 002,71W 53,33N on my GOTO which wouldnt accept it

I have just Itouch mapped it and this now says -2.11077W 53.579391N

Do I enter this as 002,11W 53,57N

Appreciate any help as its been driving me daft

I think I may be having a similar problem

I somehow from somewhere had my coordinates as 2,7 1200 W 53,33N and have been trying to enter 002,71W 53,33N on my GOTO which wouldnt accept it

I have just Itouch mapped it and this now says -2.11077W 53.579391N

Do I enter this as 002,11W 53,57N

Appreciate any help as its been driving me daft

Latitude and Longitude of a Point

Yes this is the site you need. Put your postcode in and you need to use the lower co-ordinates as described earlier in this thread. Hope this helps :)

So yes in answer to your question - 002,11W 53,57N is how you need to enter it on your hand controller, not forgetting to select 'YES' for daylight saving.

^^^^ thanks for the quick reply

I've had the scope for nearly 2 weeks and this was my first clear night so I was pretty eager to set it up,was frustrating when the scope either pointed directly upwards or down through the grass :(

I did have a manual pootle at all the stars though :)

In Itouch put in your location to get your Lat and Long then scroll down the page. The first set of figures are in decimal (you don't want these) and the second set are in degrees and mins. You want these!

for instance my numbers are Lat: 50 degrees 43 mins N and Long -3 degrees 30 mins W

The Synscan requires you to enter the co-ordinates as Longitude first and latitude second.

So I enter 003 30 W and 50 43 N

Just to help

Type Dir. Sign

Lat. N +

Lat. S -

Long. E +

Long. W -

Archived