NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unboxing a Quattro 8" Steel OTA

Deneb

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive, Nadeem. Most impressive...

I particularly like the way in which you've mounted your finder/guider on the tube rings. I expect that I'll have to do something similar to ensure the balance is perfect.

I took Olly's advice and went for the CF tube which now means that I have no rings (and had to ask FLO to chase OVL who promptly sent the missing finder) until September sometime. But this is a Sky-Watcher September... a bit like the Quattro release in Jan/Feb that ended up being August... :)

I'm really looking forward to your first and second (and subsequent!) light images!

Mike

Hi

Just in case someone wants to know, I have measured the ota from the front end of the scope from the white trim excluding the Cover to the end of the rear white trim.

It measures 28" (711mm).

Nadeem.

I'm still torn between quattro 8s, explorer 200pds or a triplet refractor.

I've seen some comments of SGL saying the quattro would be no good for visual, and might not even allow focus for standard plossl EPs without spacing. Is that true?

Can anyone who has a quattro confirm or deny this?

I'm really looking for a scope that can be for visual AND Dslr photography.

I'm still torn between quattro 8s, explorer 200pds or a triplet refractor.

I've seen some comments of SGL saying the quattro would be no good for visual, and might not even allow focus for standard plossl EPs without spacing. Is that true?

Can anyone who has a quattro confirm or deny this?

I'm really looking for a scope that can be for visual AND Dslr photography.

Aren't we all! What I've learned over the years is the difference between what things do in theory and what they do in practice.

We need to send Nadeem some nice clear skies to play with...

Olly

I'm starting to wonder, should I be shooting for an all in 1 solution, or maybe a 80mm ed refractor to image plus a 200 Newtonian for visual observation which would probably cost the same for the pair than a single imaging Newtonian. Hmmm

Y'cannae change the laws of physics(?) - As someone once said? :rolleyes:

The GSO (Idem Quattro?) is designed to work with DSLRs, where the focal plane is a "fair way, away" - And you may need room for filter wheels etc. If it works with all THAT, it'll "work" with (most?) eyepieces. Things can look a tad ODD (imposing?) - But I'm no longer afraid of adding extension tubes! If you point the focusser downwards, with the scope "parked", access to the Southern-ish sky is paradoxically easy. If the focuser can hold the weight, no initial problem. ;)

Of course, you may want to consider the (definite!) impact of the secondary shadow at low magnifications. The added "fun" of collimation etc. ALL of which can be previewed during the day - Even from indoors (hint!). <G> Or, cut an off-axis hole in the scope cover, cover with Baader solar film. A passable white light solar image results. GSO make spare scope caps, I note... :p

Aside: I retain a novice enthusiasm with these scopes. It's fun to attempt the unconventional? Was doing quite well last night, with (albeit GSO) tests, until the skies came to resemble a glass of... ABSINTH?

I begin to know how the "old gal" feels! :)

I'm starting to wonder, should I be shooting for an all in 1 solution, or maybe a 80mm ed refractor to image plus a 200 Newtonian for visual observation which would probably cost the same for the pair than a single imaging Newtonian. Hmmm

In my view the all in one solution is a dream not likely to survive past sunrise. Since you need a mount anyway, and since the ED80 is so absurdly cheap, why beat yourself up collimating a budget fast Newt when you could be pouring photons onto your chip via the ED80, certain in the knowledge that they are collimated, focused, etc etc.

Please ignore me, I'm an old goat, but I'm not into faffing about. I like taking pictures. Read the threads and decide for yourself what really works.

Olly

You will find imaging with a ED80 a lot easier to image with, little cool down time (about 15mins), no collimation needed, maybe a bit slow @7.5 but very much do able & a lot more easy to handle & guide with or don't guide, check my website in my sig, you be amazed what you can achieve with a bit of patience.

Nadeem.

In my view the all in one solution is a dream not likely to survive past sunrise. Since you need a mount anyway, and since the ED80 is so absurdly cheap, why beat yourself up collimating a budget fast Newt when you could be pouring photons onto your chip via the ED80, certain in the knowledge that they are collimated, focused, etc etc.

Please ignore me, I'm an old goat, but I'm not into faffing about. I like taking pictures. Read the threads and decide for yourself what really works.

Olly

Even though I am very new to all this imaging "malarky black magik" with my limited experience I have found refractors to be the simplest weapon of choice. Simple is good, simple keeps you sane.

Hi

It's nice to be proven wrong sometimes, especially when you underestimate the performance of the focuser.

As seeing conditions were pretty poor for imaging, i decided to mount my ccd setup on it to see if there were any flexure or image shifting issues.

Even under the load I was using, there appeared no image shift of the focuser & having those two lockng knobs engaged caused no sagness in the handling of my imaging gear.

Cheers

Nadeem.

Archived