Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weather reports/forecasts.

Afternoon all.

Only took up this hobby back in January and I have been waiting months to spot Jupiter (which is now starting to get high enough for me to see from the back garden) but the cloud in sunny/cloudy Nottingham has been awfull as of late. I did miss a cracking clear night on Sunday (gutted) down to the weather reports saying it was going to be cloudy (by the time I noticed it was clear it was 1 in the morning and I was just off to bed!)

So my question is this, what weather reports / forecasts do you use and have they been accurate?(I know predicting the weather is a massivly complex thing and no body has got it 100% right, I was just wondering what everybody else uses)

I currently use the good old BBC weather for my area twinned with the infared video / slide show from the met office.

Cheers,

Darren.

So my question is this, what weather reports / forecasts do you use and have they been accurate?

I currently use the good old BBC weather for my area twinned with the infared video / slide show from the met office.

For a while I've been keeping tabs on the 5 day local forecast that appears on the BBC website, which you can set for your postcode.

It turns out that so far as forecasting the the next day's weather it gets it right about 40% of the time. So far as accuracy at 5 days, it's generally slightly worse than random chance (work that one out!)

I also use Metcheck when it's working, but I've found that the most accurate way to know if it's good for observing is to look out the window.

Archived