Premium Eyepiece Help!

Ok, this is proving harder than i thought to decide. I have read the post in the link provided by Umadog and also watched some YouTube video of the Delos. It's appears to be a pretty impressive piece of kit. I was so close to placing the order with flo for the Pentax and now i'm back scratching my head again :) If only there were a few more reviews of the Delos. I am going to order one or the other by the end of business today. Thanks very much for all the replies guys. Much appreciated. :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the track record of Tele Vue - I can't see the Delos being anything other than a superb eyepiece. I have 3 Ethos (Ethe ?) and they are the best eyepieces I've used in 30+ years in the hobby.

The Pentax XW's are also superb so you can't loose really :)

I'm sure your expectations are realistic so you won't fall into the trap that a recent contributor to another forum did and expect a premium eyepiece to show you stuff that "normal" eyepieces can't - they just show the same stuff a bit better :D

Ok, i've done it! Just placed an online order with Green Witch for the 10mm Delos :)

To say i am excited about it would be the understatement of the century! I'll post some pics when it arrives along with a first light report (albeit from a newbie perspective). Thanks again everyone.

Congratulations !. I expect you have seen this but just in case (and to whet your appetite !) here is an extract from a recent Sky & Telescope review that Tele Vue have published on their website:

Excerpts from Sky & Telescope, June 2011, review of Delos eyepieces:

WHAT WE LIKE:

Essentially perfect optics

"Immersive" observation experience

WHAT WE DON'T LIKE:

Trying to nail down why the observing experience is so pleasurable.

I spent several nights viewing the Moon, Saturn, stars and nebulae with a variety of telescopes … .

The Delos eyepieces are "easy to look through … . They have flat fields, delivering absolute pinpoint stars from edge to edge with no hint of color aberration. The view, especially during the daytine, is very pure with no noticeable color tint. And there wasn't a hint of ghosts or reflections, even with the brightest stars.

What caught me a bit off guard, however, was something that's best described as the observing experience. It was distinctly pleasurable.

I have the sensation of looking out of a circular window rather than into an eyepiece.

— di Cicco, Dennis. "Tele Vue's New Delos Eyepieces". Sky & Telescope (June 2011). p. 58, 59.

I think you are going to like the Delos :)

They sound like an incredible eyepiece, congratulations on a very very good choice Matthew. My 9mm Nagler is keeping his head low at the minute :)

LOL, sounds like the Delos has caught your eye also Damo :(

Thanks for the Sky and Telescope review John. I would appear i have made the right choice :D

The 10mm has caught both my eyes Matthew. I would be tempted to swap my 9mm Nagler for one. Before upgrading to the Nagler's i had been using Baader Hyperion's and found them very easy to use. Although optically they were not quite in the same league as the Nagler i actually found the 68 degree fov and longer eye relief made them comfortable to use. I suppose it reinforces that eyepiece's are a very subjective item and what works for me may not work for someone else. In saying that though my two Nagler's are by far the finest ep's i have ever looked through bar none. For me though, if they had a tiny bit more eye relief they would be ideal. The 72 degree Delos with 20mm eye relief sounds just about perfect. They are pricey though!

With an undriven alt-azimuth mount like a dobsonian there is an advantage to having ultra wide field, well corrected, eyepieces in that objects stay in the field of view that much longer at high magnifications so the Naglers are far from obsolete with the arrival of the Delos I suspect. I used to have a set of Type 6 Naglers and found them excellent eyepieces for medium to high power viewing in a wide range of scopes. To upgrade from Nagler to Delos is going to cost £100+ per eyepiece (assuming you sell the Naglers for around £150) - it's worth thinking hard about the relative benefits before jumping ship perhaps ?.

Food for thought John, must admit after a session last night/this morning I wondered how anything could rival my eyepiece of choice for the session.

Televue Nagler 13mm type 6, what great views I had of Neptune, Uranus and Jupiter, with Europa just popping out from behind it around 2 am this morning, fantastic sights one and all :D

maybe someone should remind me of this post around December when I'm contemplating a Delos :)

You are of course correct John, (thank god for the voice of reason) it would be foolish to jump ship at much additional cost when i already have quality eps. I think i must be developing early symptoms of occularholism and need to nip it in the bud sooner rather than later :( I actually went as far as phoning Green Witch to check their stock levels and apparently they are expecting a delivery tomorrow or Friday but they are all spoken for. It looks like Matthew got the last one till next shipment in three weeks or so time. Phew, it really was a close call :) I also hadn't taken into account the fact that i would probably have to make up a bed in the shed if the other half found out :D

I also hadn't taken into account the fact that i would probably have to make up a bed in the shed if the other half found out :)

Honesty is always the best policy, not worth the grief if you get caught lol :D

Although I failed to tell the mrs about the Moonlite focuser on order but did tell her about the Giro 3 Alt/Az mount that I got on the for sale board :(

You are of course correct John, (thank god for the voice of reason) it would be foolish to jump ship at much additional cost when i already have quality eps....

I've not really followed my own wisdom 100% of course :D

I moved from 6 Naglers to 3 Ethos because the 100 degree FoV shows as much sky as longer focal length EP's do and with a darker background sky, eg: the 13mm Ethos replaced the 13mm T6 and 16mm T5 Naglers and so on. As I was lucky enough to find 2nd hand Ethos 8mm and 13mm's the additional investment was quite modest.

I guess I could do the same with the 20mm and 31mm Nagler's to get a 21mm Ethos although it does not show quite as much sky as the 31mm Nagler.

Talk about occularholism though ........ I'm as bad as anyone :)

a good point John and I have ebbed and flowed between these ideas myself. initially I felt that more choices was better and then sold a few of these to fund an Ethos as this replaced a number of eyepiece focal lengths and fields. then I bought (over time and almost solely used) a number of eyepieces close in focal length as the seeing in the UK really affects the choices for planetary viewing and I am happier now with my eyepieces. I have a problem too as I now have 11 eyepieces and a paracorr!

I see your wisdom regarding the Ethos John. An 8, 13 & 21mm would be a dream setup, minimalist and cover almost every angle. The little devil on my right shoulder is telling me that a 13mm Ethos would show a tiny bit more sky than my 19mm Pan. Anyone see where i'm going with this yet :D

OMG! I have to stop!

My next purchase was supposed to be a low power 2'' for nice wide field views and here i am letting the notion of an Ethos enter my head :) It's a good job i absolutely love my 2 Pan's!

Archived