Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photographic Atlas of The Stars

glowjet

There exists at present, for those who have not come across it, a Photographic Atlas of The Night Sky, last published in 1999, by authors, Arnold, Doherty and Sir PM, it received two good reviews on Amazon, if anyone is interested Cambridge University Press are due to release " The Photographic Atlas of The Stars " at the end of September, Amazon price in the region of £22, this is a complete new digital photo star atlas and info written by Mellinger and Ronald Stoyan, ( Stoyan is regarded to have written the best book on the Messier objects there is , I have a copy and it is, without doubt, outstanding, both in information and photographic splendor ) Just in case you check on Amazon, you may find the language for the atlas is given as German, I have verified with the CUP that the publication is in fact in English :smiley:

The way the weather is going in the British Ilse with climate change, you will at least be able open the book in the comfort of you armchair and recall what the sky looked like on a clear night, its already on my Christmas list :smiley:

Thanks for this interesting post.

I have the Arnold, Doherty and Moore book already. On one page is a good widefield photo and on the opposite page is the same piece of sky shown on a star chart. By looking from one to the other you can practise an evening's observing indoors. Many guests have commented on how useful they find this book. For beginners it really really is a brilliant way to 'get your eye in' on how to interpret star maps on the sky.

The new one sounds very tempting, too.

Olly

• 2 months later...

I picked up a copy at the FAS meeting on Saturday.

What a lovely book it is too.

Large format, superb imaging, covering the whole sky.

Right hand page shows positive print, the left page shows a negative of the same image with constellations, stars and many objects of interest marked on it.

Dave

Archived