NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Observing - Unrealistic Expectations?

cap603

I recently bought the Baader solar film and constructed the home-made filter for a reflector.i.e., the film covers a 3" circle, not the entire opening of the scope.

I have an 8" f5.9 Orion XT8. I just tried it out with a 25mm eyepiece, and then with a 2x Barlow. The filter seems to work fine, but I only see a ball of light. Nothing else (except passing clouds). Perhaps I have unrealistic expectations. What should I see? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

A 3" circle should be fine, I think. We certainly get an acceptable image with our ST102 and I've made another for the ST120 out of the filter material that was left over which doesn't cover the entire aperture.

It could well be that you've just picked an unfortunate time to look at the sun. Yesterday there were some sunspots, but they were quite close to the limb and may have disappeared from view now. A few days ago I saw some very impressive ones, but they've also moved out of view now.

Looking at spaceweather.com there are some spots right at the very edge of the disc at the moment and some small ones closer to the centre, but perhaps with just 3" of aperture they're too small to resolve and you need to wait until some larger ones work their way around to our side of the sun.

James

I have an 8" f5.9 Orion XT8. I just tried it out with a 25mm eyepiece, and then with a 2x Barlow.
I think, initially, it's best to use as LOW power as possible (leave out the Barlow at first). Focusing can be tricky - Easier, if you can cut out direct sunlight, with a black cloth over the head - A dark bathroom towel etc. <G> Most optical aid should have sufficient resolution to show sunspots, but the "challenges" re. solar observation are not insignificant... Keep trying! :smiley:

Archived