Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Moon shot 09/08/2011

Steve Wright

while I was waiting for Jupiter to rise last night I thought I would practice on the Moon with my Nikon D3100 at prime focus, quite pleased with the result if a little out of focus maybe, comments appreciated as imaging with a DSLR is a bit of a learning curve

post-17213-133877645159_thumb.jpg

The way I did it was to attach the camera body to a T-mount attached to a tube which holds an eyepiece which fits into the viewing port - basically in place of an eyepiece. This picked up just a small area of the moon so it was not too difficult to focus using live view. I then took about forty images to form a 'mosaic' of overlapping sections of the moon. Then using photoshop I cut and pasted heavily feathered cropped sections on top of each other until I had the final result. Took a little bit of jiggery-pokery, but I was pleased with the end result which in print is about A0 in size. I was using a Meade ETX125 (5" schmidt cassegrain) on an Alt-Az mount unguided but tracking the moon with a Canon 450D body and 12.5mm eyepiece. Hope this helps!

Archived