Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding or a New DSLR

Dann

I seem to be in a bit of a quandary and would appreciate some voices of experience.

Now I have my hooks into astrophotography and know it’s something I wish to continue with I’ve been looking into guiding solutions as well as a modded DSLR. Only I can’t decide upon which to invest in first.

A little background on the kit I’m using at the moment.

I have a 150p on an EQ5 PRO goto and therefore I’m leaning towards the light weight finder scope guiding options like Orion's magnificent package.

My camera is a Nikon D40 and here is where I run into a problem, none of the tethering software available to me allows the use of the Nikon's BULB mode so I can either automate 30 second exposures or manually take 90-120 second subs with a remote (depends on mount and alignment).

If I go for guiding first it will obviously help with longer exposures but the camera (without additional software) is going to limit me to the above. Get hold of a new camera first and I’ll be able to automate exposures as long as my mount and polar alignment will allow but not track as accurately as guiding would allow.

Having written this down it seems sensible to invest in a more suitable camera to start with but I’m interested to hear your opinions or if any of you have run into similar problems.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Dann,

I have a Nikon and an Orion Mini Autoguider. No matter what, if your going to take long exposure photos you will need an autoguider. Anything over a minute in exposure will show trails without a guider. I can see why you would want a new camera because a Canon can be automated and take multiple long exposures with software. I simply use a shutter release cable with my Nikon and can take very long exposures by holding the release button and watching a stop watch on my iphone. The shutter release locks in place and will go as long as you want. I know it is not as convenient as a Canon, but you can get the same results with a little extra work. The camera is a matter of preference (the D40 is an awesome camera btw) and it is more than capable of getting good shots. The autoguider is a key component for astrophotos and is something you will need no matter what. The Orion Autoguider works very well and adds very little weight to your mount. I would advise getting the guider first, and if you get tired of taking each exposure manually you can remedy that later.

I had a similar quandary and ended up getting an autoguider as ultimately I would need one to maximise my exposures.

I currently use my D200 with a remote intervolometer so I can set and forget. Before that I used a simple remote release and timer.

You might find this interesting: Nikon D40 Intervalometer Project

Im not sure if there is an intervolometer for the D40 but I would be tempted to get the autoguider and persevere with a remote release for now. Ultimately I aim to get a dedicated CCD as I know Nikons arent ideal for AP.

HTH

Hi all

Thank you for the advice.

Shaunster, the plan is to grab both but Im a strange one and feel better about spending money when I spread it out a bit :smiley:

The 450D and 1100D are the two I've had my eye on. I cant see much of a difference between the two, I take it the 1100D is much the same as the 1000D, just a newer version?

My own mantra of priority is mount-camera-optics and since an autoguider is a key part of the mount I'd go for that first.

But maybe you really just want us to give you a nudge to get spending and so I'm happy to do so; get both!!!

Olly

I used my Nikon for widefield with a wireless remote mounted on an ST80/QHY5 for guiding. Then added the QHY5 to my finder when I got the ED80... then got fed up with lack of Nikon support in astro software & got a 1000D solely for astro use.. (much better control) now I want an obsy, cooled CCD, more scopes .. better mount... argh... it never stops... But to answer your question...you'll want to do both but the guiding makes much more difference with the results if you're prepared to manually control the Nikon shutter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help everyone and to Olly for the encouragement to spend :rolleyes:

I decided to take the advise of many and get myself guiding. I have ordered the Orion finder/star shoot package so my apologies to all for the inevitable period of poor weather.

Ill still have to time exposures manually with my current camera and remote but that's fine with the moderately warm nights were having.

Come Xmas I might treat myself to a new Canon so I can dive inside on the cold nights and get myself a cuppa.

Danny

Archived