Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam advice!

DaveGarland

I wonder if anyone can recommend a good webcam for me to use, and also how to adapt it to fit my scope. I'm using a Skywatcher 130 at the moment, and really, I'm just hoping to use this as a learning experience before I move on to bigger and better equipment. Also what software can I use?

Absolutely any advice or tips are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave, the Toucam 740 or 840k or the last version in that webcam line from Phillips, the SPC900nc are really the best webcams imho to start out with.....you might find one secondhand and I believe there are still stocks of the 900nc that are sold over your way.....there are a number of freeware programs that you can use and wxAstrocapture is one such good capture program.....with Registax6 or the earlier version R5 as good processing programs. (I have a tute here on SGL for the DBK21 and R5 which also applies in the main to Toucams etc!;))

You'll require a "nosepiece" which is a screw-in 1&1/4" sleeve that screws into the webcam after removal of the lens; which in secondhand units, or the stocks of 900nc's will have been already done most probably - and I believe you can also purchase the 900nc with nosepiece supplied.....this n/p fits into your focuser.

Or LifeCam Cinema/HD that can offer much better speed and sensitivity :hello2: Webcam technology did invent something better than ancient SPC webcams :rolleyes:

Heh-hee.....that's a good one Piotr.....show me one decent image with one of those webcams and I'll show you a hundred better ones from Toucams - it's interesting that the Cinema HD thread has cropped up on CN at the moment - surely you didn't buy a heap of those useless cams and are now trying to flog them off to unsuspecting folks..?!?;):hello2:

My primary planetary camera is different ;) AFAIK "bunyon" on CN is using the LifeCam for imaging, and I have stripped HD-5000 waiting for some housing mod so I can do more images to compare. Main advantage is that they are USB 2.0 (faster), and those OmniVision CMOS sensors have very strong IR/red sensitivity (and have much more pixels)

I just bought the Astro-imaging Kit Philips SPC880/900 from Telescope House after reading this thread, but it seems I may have a problem that one of you can answer for me.

Before I bought it I specifically asked them if it would work on a Mac, and was told it would, but I now find that Phillips don't support the MAC, was I misinformed or can someone confirm for me if they are using one with a Mac?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived