Weather Sites

Hi all,

I seem to look at quite a few weather sites when trying to work out if it's worth getting the scope out and driving to a dark site. They never seem to agree or be that accurate for me personally. Does anyone know of any reliable sites re weather + cloud cover. I'm in Leicester.

Thanks

Simon

I use Sat24 mainly as it has a short sequence of satellite images that allow you to see what the cloud is doing. For longer tem I use uk.weather.com - you can set it up for your location and it gives a three day forecast.

Metcheck can also be set up specifically for astronomy as well as your location and gives around 72 hours of forecast.

Hope this helps.

Another vote for SAT24! Unfortunately as Britain is an island, the words 'weather' and 'prediction' seem to contradict each other. I use SAT24 and the upstairs window on the night to see if I'm good to go - anything else seem to ends in tears. ;):D

James

Thanks for that guys.

Grrrr....... it doesn't render properly in Firefox. I hate having to use IE.

The reason I asked about Visible and IR was that they appear to give different amount of cloud for the same time. I assume IR isn't picking up the low cloud?

Simon

I find TriTimer is good for getting a rough indication.

7Timer! - numerical weather forecast for anywhere over the world

I then use Sat24 when it's approaching time to get ready for setup. I find with Sat24 that if I leave the animation looping through for a few minutes I can get a good read on what the clouds are trying to do.

Occasionally, if it looks like it should be good on the sat image but the actual weather outside says otherwise and it's a bit too wispy, I'll use chaos theory and stand there and blow at the clouds pushing them off in another direction. Usually I find that works quite well.

Sounds mad I know but if butterflies can create hurricanes on the other side of the planet, I can quite easily move a stubborn cloud to get some quality scope time in. ;)

The Met widget for forecasts and Sat24 before heading out just to confirm.

Last night I would'nt have bothered by just relying on the 'partly cloudy' forecasts but Sat24 showed the cloud clearing in my area and it was right.

Still can't beat looking out the window though

Archived