Solar Viewing

What do you all think about using a meade 105 for solar viewing?

I have asked around and I am getting conflicting information. Some say it's OK with the right filters, others say no way!

Now I'm confused.

Make your own filter for the front or buy one, is it Thousand Oaks that do one?, also check Astro Engineering they make screw in ones for (some) Meades.

The filter has to be on the front, don't even think of one that goes in the eyepiece.

You will have to do an alignment so that the scope tracks the sun reasonably once you find it. Just give it the date and time etc and do level and North say go, then accept whatever stars it says it has found. As the WHOLE alignment/setup is just the level/North do it as best you can at the time.

Start out with a long focal length eyepiece, you will want as big a field of view as you can get to find the thing. That should be it.

Friend has the 90 with the AE solar filter and says it is good.

Indeed

ETX 105 solar filter

A5 has a few pinholes that can be easily patched or painted out with a few spots of black paint. One large hole has been patched crudely already. Glass solar filter by Astro Engineering to fit Meade ETX105 (thread fitting). In plastic case.

Avoid that bad boy. Not worth risking frying your retina when you could pick up some solar film for £20

Baader Astro Solar Film A4 Sheet: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Make sure you go for the one thats £20. There is one on amazon for £18 but they will charge you £13 delivery. Also might be worth thinking about filtering your finderscope too!!

Archived