Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Google SketchUp

Gina

There's been some discussion of this in other threads but rather than hijack one of the others I thought it better to start a new one.

I've just started trying SketchUp on the Mac. Very versatile but a steep learning curve I've found. I'm finding it difficult to add extra items to the model and to move items in 3D when viewing a 2D image. I guess I need to go through a few tutorials - I'm sure I'm missing something.

Seems it will be very useful to help visualise complicated structures in 3D. I've been drawing all my designs in 2D so far but some of them really need 3D to see just how everything fits together. And the ability of SketchUp to see the design from all different angles is very helpful. I think things through in my mind but there's nothing like a model you can play with and adjust easily.

Just wish they did a Linux version I could run on my main desktop in the living room. Seems to be Windows and Mac only.

Hi Gina

Yep, SketchUp is a great tool. When moving objects in 3D, I find it easier to move it in each dimension separately - ie. move in x, then move in y as a separate move action, then move in z. Much easier to know where you are by doing this.

Another suggestion - create each object as a separate collection of shapes away from your main model design space, and then group them together to form an object, then move that object into your model design space. It is much easier to select all the lines and shapes etc to enable you to group them if they are away from other lines and shapes in your model.

Also, make sure you select the appropriate default dimensions before you start!

Watching the noobie training videos will teach you the most useful basic tools and techniques.

Hope this helps

Hi Gina

Yep, SketchUp is a great tool. When moving objects in 3D, I find it easier to move it in each dimension separately - ie. move in x, then move in y as a separate move action, then move in z. Much easier to know where you are by doing this.

Another suggestion - create each object as a separate collection of shapes away from your main model design space, and then group them together to form an object, then move that object into your model design space. It is much easier to select all the lines and shapes etc to enable you to group them if they are away from other lines and shapes in your model.

Also, make sure you select the appropriate default dimensions before you start!

Watching the noobie training videos will teach you the most useful basic tools and techniques.

Hope this helps

Yes, it does, thanks Kevin ;) I've been watching the videos and now see how to do things. And yes, definitely a good idea to make objects away from the main model to avoid confusion - that was my main mistake. Selecting objects was nigh impossible without either losing a bit or picking up a bit from another object. I should have thought of going to the website and looking for help - those training videos seem to contain all the information needed to make the most complicated model :rolleyes:.

Will SketchUp for windows work under Wine?

James

Ah yes, it might - thank you ;) I always seem to forget about Wine. Mainly because it often doesn't work. I'll try it later.

Just tried Wine and I can't get SketchUp to install. I'll try again by running IE in XP in Wine and see if I can download and install it that way.

OK - sorted! ;) Had several goes at it, rebooted a couple of times, tried running SketchUp in Wine a couple of times and now it's working. Amazing how a reboot etc. heals some problems, even in Linux!

So... I can announce :-

Google SketchUp version 8 runs in Wine v1.2 under Linux (Linux Mint - derivative of Ubuntu).

Well... I have SketchUp running on my Linux box and getting to grips with it ;) BUT... I set the dimensions when drawing rectangles and pulling faces from the keyboard but when I check with the measure tool, I get a totally wrong reading - several times what I set it to! :rolleyes: I'll try it on the Mac version later.

Should add... I'm working in feet and inches. Must try it in metric and see if that's any different. I did set the units to feet and inches at the start.

Now working in metric but the keyboard measurement settings still don't agree with with the tape measure. So I turn on "Dimensions" from the menu and label the lengths, widths and depths of each timber. Then I can push/pull the faces to get the measurements right.

Been using Groups and Components and this has helped a lot, as has drawing new items away from the main model. Also, taken on board the technique of dragging a specific point on the group to move it to where I want it - makes it easy to put timbers touching each other.

Still finding it a little tedious but getting the hang of it now and using it to model my obsy shed, pier and mount etc. It will make it so much easier to check not only how everything fits together but also the viewing angles from the scope. I'll post the result when I've finished. May even go on to make an animation ;)

Got most things worked out but can't get the hang of moving objects in a particular direction. Also, the move tool sometimes turns into a rotate and objects sometimes go skew-wiff.

Yeh, you have to be careful when moving things, which is why I suggested moving in each axis separately. Without wishing to teach you to suck eggs - as you start to move the object, the axis of movement will be indicated in a colour - red, blue and green (can't remember which is x,y,z) so check that the coloour represents which axis you want to move in. If it's wrong, move the cursor around until the axis colour changes to the one you want, then you know you're moving in the required direction. Like everything else in life - takes a bit of practice. If you can't get the axis colour you want, try orbiting your model a little and try again. I've found this can help sometimes.

Thanks Kevin ;)

Another niggle... When using the basic metric template the measurement resolution is 10mm - it's unable to resolve anything less or move in smaller steps. Anyone know a way round this? When in imperial it seemed to go in steps of 1/16 of an inch. I was rather surprised it didn't go down to a mm in metric mode. eg. 75mm timber has to be either 70mm or 80mm - rather a coarse measurement! I'm wondering if there's another template that was better.

Anyway, still plenty to explore and I'm gaining proficiency all the time :rolleyes:

When using the basic metric template the measurement resolution is 10mm - it's unable to resolve anything less or move in smaller steps.
I believe I've found the answer (going through the videos and help before going to bed last night). It's a matter of choosing the right template - there are Engineering and Woodworking templates that use mm. Working to the nearest mm will be fine for my model.

I've been making extensive use of components so adjusting measurements should be relatively easy after changing templates, hopefully.

To change Units in current model :- In Windows, Windows menu > Model Info > Units > ... various parameter may be changed - Imp/metric, resolution, etc. This is just what I want - show lengths in mm, allow move, push/pull etc. in 1mm steps.

Sorry for not replying to your recent questions - I've just started a new job, so have been otherwise occupied of late. Glad you sorted your units out ! As I'm sure you know, you can save templates as a new template after you've customised it to what you want.

Sorry for not replying to your recent questions - I've just started a new job, so have been otherwise occupied of late. Glad you sorted your units out ! As I'm sure you know, you can save templates as a new template after you've customised it to what you want.
No worries Kevin - I hope you're enjoying your new job :smiley: Yes, I found that info from the help, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.

I'm gradually getting more used to SketchUp and working a bit quicker. I still have trouble with moving things though - persuading them to move in the right direction. I often get them moving the right way then they jump off course. Also, occasionally something else moves as well as the item I'm moving. I've tried to separate them but without success. The usual way doesn't work - the "Explode" menu item is greyed out. No doubt I'm missing something.

I still have trouble with moving things though - persuading them to move in the right direction. I often get them moving the right way then they jump off course. Also, occasionally something else moves as well as the item I'm moving. I've tried to separate them but without success. The usual way doesn't work - the "Explode" menu item is greyed out. No doubt I'm missing something.

I have the same problems. The only think I've found so far that helps is zooming in or out, or changing the view point. Sometimes I've had to move an object close to where I want it, then move the viewpoint, then move it the rest of the way.

James

I have the same problems. The only think I've found so far that helps is zooming in or out, or changing the view point. Sometimes I've had to move an object close to where I want it, then move the viewpoint, then move it the rest of the way.

James

Yes, I do that too. I've also found I can zoom in and actually look inside an object and see another object erroneously projecting inside the first. And... with zooming in you can "walk" through walls and see the view behind. Sometimes saving the need to move a wall (or whatever) out of the way.

Another useful thing is... where you have several items to adjust in the same way, eg. push/pull, you can move one and then select the others in turn and double-click to perform the same operation on the others.

What would be nice would be to be able to mark a point where you want a corner of an object to go and then select the relevant point on the object and immediately move it to the mark. I've looked but can't find such an operation. I'm sure there must be an easier way to add an item to the model than by moving it nearer and nearer in the 3 directions to reach the destination (a sort of successive approximation).

Also, occasionally something else moves as well as the item I'm moving. I've tried to separate them but without success. The usual way doesn't work - the "Explode" menu item is greyed out. No doubt I'm missing something.
Found it! :smiley: The reason was that I was using two instances of a component. I didn't realise that moving one would move the other. I wanted to have the size and shape common to both. The answer was to Make Unique one of the instances, then they change independently.

Archived