Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO GT81 as a spotting scope?

Just wondering if you guys think that the new William Optics GT81 would be any good for bird watching.

The light weight really appeals and if used with a zoom eyepiece such as the WO 22.5-7.5 in my mind would make a perfect spotting scope.

Any thoughts....

Hi Mick despite the specs the scope is a real handful,just weighed mine with W/O rings, short dovetail, 2"diagonal and red dot finder,no lens it weighs in at 11lbs!!! The scope performs very well as a telephoto lens during daylight testing but lightweight it`s not.

It sit`s nicely on a manfrotto video tripod/head combo,but it is lens heavy so balance is critical.

Will have mine at Kelling your welcome to have a butchers.

The scope is very well constucted and finish is flawless.

Hth

Mike

My redsnapper tripod and head shold be able to take 10Kg so 11lb plus eyepice should be no problem.

The GT81 should excell at binary stars and astrophotography while ontop of my HEQ5 and be a portable set up for bird watching while ontop of the Redsnapper and also connect a 1000d to it to take wildlife photo's.

The scope isn't exactly small, also I suppose that you would need an inverting attachment/eyepiece, upside down birds don't look as good. As the scope was not designed for having an inverter in the optical path you would upset the path length, easily taken care of, but also introduce a degree of chromatic abberation, those prisms split light as well as rotating it. It will hopefully be too small to be seen but it may not.

Any where near Rutland water? If so go along to the Birdfair there in 2 weeks time and have a look at the selection of spotting scope available. Easily a couple of hours worth of scopes to look at and look through.

Thanks guys, just trying to kill two birds with one stone so to speak, on one hand a spotting scope and on the other an imaging scope.

I agree there are lighter scopes but I still think the image would be pretty damn good for bird watching.

I might just get one anyway and try it.

I had a look at a WO GT81 yesterday on FLO's stand at the SW Astro Fair. It was quite heavy but not unmanagable at all IMHO. Pretty compact as well - not much larger than the WO 72mm it was sat next to. It's a beautifully put together thing - everything seemed to work really smoothly. Didn't get a chance to look through it, alas :rolleyes:

I reckon I could live with one, given the chance ;)

Archived