Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope in a shed?

Hello all

Bit of a weird question but is it ok to keep my equipment in my garden shed? I have phoned the insurance and it's all covered so no worries there. I have an EQ6 mount, ST80 and a 150p plus all the other little bits. Do I have to keep it any special way. Just worried about the hot/cold effects on the equipment. Thankyou

Hello all

Bit of a weird question but is it ok to keep my equipment in my garden shed? I have phoned the insurance and it's all covered so no worries there. I have an EQ6 mount, ST80 and a 150p plus all the other little bits. Do I have to keep it any special way. Just worried about the hot/cold effects on the equipment. Thankyou

Effectively most run-off-roof observatories are wooden sheds ;)

Shouldn't be a problem - the advantage is that you will have no "cool down" time - just get the scope out and use it. The only disadvantage may be dust and spiders (not that I don't like spiders - it's just that they build webs in the strangest of places!), the cure being a cover of some sort over the kit to keep them off - I use a cheap bicycle cover form either Tesco or Argos in my tin shed observatory.

Shouldn't be a problem - the advantage is that you will have no "cool down" time - just get the scope out and use it. The only disadvantage may be dust and spiders (not that I don't like spiders - it's just that they build webs in the strangest of places!), the cure being a cover of some sort over the kit to keep them off - I use a cheap bicycle cover form either Tesco or Argos in my tin shed observatory.

Yeah, I noticed a small strand of silk in the OTA glistening in the lazer beam of the collimator last night ;)

Need to get a cover !

I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I went with a cheapo option for my base and it still works a treat to this date. Last year, B&Q had loads of cheap sheds for sale in different sizes, widths and lengths. I ended up going for one was was 2 x 6, enough to fit in a few bikes or perhaps a drive in lawnmower.

Anyway, I fitted a perspex panel into the south facing apex of the roof, sealed with abrams and CT1 sealant to keep the elements out. A few coatings of wood treatment, and I had myself a perfect little haven for sky watching.

Being out at the end of the garden is kind of relaxing too. No one will disturb you!

That actually sounds dodgy, but you catch my drift! :smiley:

Archived