Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy Imaging Targets for Newbie Imager ?

ribuck

Hi All,

Just looking for some recommendations for some easy imaging targets for a newbie. Just getting back into imaging now that my scope is fixed, so want to start over again with some easier targets, other than just clusters.

Ideally something with a little colour to it, so i can play around with LRGB

I'm located in the uk located at 55N if that helps.

Rich.

There's a book I have called The 100 Best Astrophotography targets which lists some (I'll let you guess how many). Although it's an american book and doesn't give any maps (only the barest R.A./Dec position + magniude and size information) on where the targets are, I reckon that a lot of them are still possible from the UK and even from your 55degrees north.

There's also a full-colour picture of each object along with info on the equipment used to take it. Though most of the shots were taken with high-end kit.

Ok this leads me to my next newbie imager question.........

Is there a guide somewhere for the recommend number of subs, sub length, colour weighting, binning etc for each target ?

For example with M27, i dont know what length subs i should be taking and how many of each ?

Ok this leads me to my next newbie imager question.........

Is there a guide somewhere for the recommend number of subs, sub length, colour weighting, binning etc for each target ?

For example with M27, i dont know what length subs i should be taking and how many of each ?

I would be interested if there was a guide, but you could always take the cheeky route and look in the DSO section and use what other people have used ;)

There isn't a guide unfortunately (I really, really needed one when starting out - some say I still do!) as there are so many variables of equipment/cameras/subject/conditions that no two folk would use the same, even for the same object.

Yes, the book I mentioned has that information.

For example, your question about M27: the author gives this information for the image shown.

12-inch LX200R @F/7

R,G,B each 12 * 5 min unbinned with a ST10XME camera

So, once you map those numbers onto your equipment you'll be able to tell how much exposure your 'scope/camera/F-ratio and Q.E will need.

Archived