NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

william optics flt151 f6.7 triplet apo.

hello everyone,

i have noticed the new william optics 151mm triplet fpl53 apo on ian king's site and i'm wondering about the source of the triplet.i guessing it is chinese or taiwanese,and not the russian lzos lens. i would love to buy a 6" apo,but i have not read anything about this particular 'scope ,and know nothing about how the optics compare with the premium brands such as tak,lzos,ap,etc.

i'm wondering if anyone has any specific info regarding the quality of the optics? i know that w.o .produce some superb scopes(my flt110 is excellent),but i also know that quality control issues sometimes arise.

cheers,phil

While I was looking into where the optics were made I ran into a lot of "seems to" or "probably".

Latest I can find is that the 158 optics are Russian designed but WO won't say where they're made, so that seems to imply that they're made in China or Taiwan. :)

John

Rather than where the optics are made, isn't the real question, how well do they perform? Both John and I own Chinese-made triplet apos and have said plenty of good things about the performance...

Ant

Are you brave enough to post that comment on Cloudy Nights ? :):D:D

I remember the comments on another forum where someone had toured round a few Chinese optics labs and stated that the Chinese were now capable of producing any quality of optics if you were willing to pay enough for them. Although with Chinese production costs soaring they wouldn't be that cheap either.

John

Yep, I read that too. Actually, certain SGL members are becoming quite (in)famous for making controversial statements on CN! :)

I really do believe that good is as good does, and if a chinese produced triplet apo lens produces a colour-free image with a good smooth figure and no real detectable aberations in the view.... then whynot go with the Chinese over the Russians or Americans who may have designed the lens system in the beginning?

Just because Henry Ford produced the first popular mass-produced car doesn't mean I'm an outcast for driving a FIAT! (or does it...lol)

Not to detract from the original poster's question, but merely to point out that perhaps the origin of the lens isn't as important an issue as it ius sometims made out to be by people who have unlimited disposable incomes.

(light fuse and retire, I think is the phrase.... )

Ant :)

thanks for the comments.

i agree that recent chinese triplets can be *awesome* . my stellarvue svr 90 carbon fibre triplet,which i use as a handheld telephoto lens for my canon 550d,is totally free of false colour and absolutely tack-sharp. lets hope the quality of chinese optics continues at this very high level!

cheers,phil

post-23446-133877642117_thumb.jpg

Archived