Dob or SCT?????

Hairycamel

Hello all. I'm a new member and as I have explained in the welcome page, I have sold my ETX-125 and from a cast of thousands, have whittled the replacement choice down to a Skywatcher 10" Flextube Dob with autotracking, or an 8" Meade SCT on an EQ5 mount with Synscan GOTO. I primarily want to use the scope for observation at home, with a little astrophotography when I get the courage up! Nothing exciting, planetary and lunar so no 3 day exposures required! Anyway I know the DOB will be great for viewing and short exposure photos, but the SCT will be better with the equatiorial mount and a bit more forgiving with EP's. Any advice gratefully received!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to think these days that "eyepiece forgiveness" is an over-rated attribute. Quality wide-field eyepieces are well-corrected for faster scopes, and high powers are best developed using Barlows, which mitigate the problems anyway.

Think you'll find the optics on the SCT very nice , good observing position at the ep , shorter more convenient ota . Be prepared to spend a few extra quid on bits and bobs though as you go along, starting with or making a dew shield. I've met a few people recently with similar set ups who are very happy and producing some fine images and enjoying their time at the ep.

For planetary imaging, the SCT. For looking through, the larger Dob. The Dob isn't just larger but has a focal length which won't 'box you in,' something I find frustrating with SCTs whch can't give very wide fields even with 2 inch accessories.

Olly

The Dob isn't just larger but has a focal length which won't 'box you in,' something I find frustrating with SCTs whch can't give very wide fields even with 2 inch accessories.

- and along with that width comes brightness too.

Bright sparkly views are something you have to forgo if you only have an SCT :)

Well, I have done it! I have bought a second hand Meade 8" SCT on an EQ5 with GOTO. The promise of a little photography swung it for me so I'll report on my purchase in due course (havent picked it up yet...)

Don't listen to the nonsense about SCTs

A bit strong I think :) - the phrase Olly used was "very wide" - and since a typical Dob shows at around twice the field width of the equivilent SCT, it's reasonable to take this into account when choosing which to purchase.

Nonetheless, I'm sure the OP will be fully satisfied with the Meade SCT, and an 8" one is great as an all-rounder whilst still being physically manageable by most people.

Glad you managed to come to a decision, I wish I could be so decisive at the moment, still going around in circles trying to decide what the next big scope will be ....:)

I suspect I shall go for an eight inch SCT as well :)

Archived