NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greenwich Observatory

Space Man

I haven't been and would like to go as I have heard that it is a good day out. Recently I've read that there was a bit of controversy surrounding the new charging that they started to introduce when early last year it was normally free to access most of the exhibits. They decided to change the entrance to £10 but it appeared to upset a lot of people, especially those with families and so I think it has been reduced as a way of appeasing the complaints. Parts of it are still free if I remember correctly but the planetarium and some of the displays you have to pay for.

I'm sure I've read a few reports on here which indicated that people had a great time and that it was worth a visit, as is a visit to the space centre in Leicester.

James

Been to both Greenwich Observatory and Leicester Space Center - both a great day out, though I'm miffed they're charging for Greenwich now - must be one of the last great free exhibits that they couldn't resist slapping a fee on. Stonehenge is another you have to pay for now - ridiculous! But all have to be done :)

Greenwich is a nice day out. It's free to get in to the observatory and look round the main exhibits. There is a charge for the house (good if you like historical stuff) and the "meridian garden", where you can stand on the merdian line -- if you can get passed all the tourists.

It's part of the National Maritime Museum, which also has some fun free exhibits outside (i.e. a collection of massive anchors).

I'm planning a trip in the not too distant future but I think I might hang on until September because the Astronomy Photographer of the Year exhibition starts on the 6th. Hopefully there will be no school kids either then...

Greenwich is a nice day out. It's free to get in to the observatory and look round the main exhibits. There is a charge for the house (good if you like historical stuff) and the "meridian garden", where you can stand on the merdian line -- if you can get passed all the tourists.

A £7 gate fee now applies :eek:

We went the other week and I really enjoyed it. Even the wife had a good time. I think £5 would be more of a fair ticket value but hey if it all goes back in to the exhibits who's complaining. I would definitely go again but as with most museums you have to spend time reading info which with so many tourists bumping into you can be testing. There seemed to be lots of interest from people who don't look the astronomy type so it would be a good day out for all. The only annoying thing the staff don't like you taking pictures :)

It's a good day out. We went last year and combined it with a trip on the high speed river taxi from the Embankment (surprisingly not too expensive for a good long trip on the river - about £5 return as far as I recall, and the kids really enjoyed that bit), and a visit to the National Maritime Museum. Look out for the noisy flocks of feral Ring-necked Parakeets in the park.

Are you on about the bit at the back where the planetarium is ?

Yeah. There are lots of astronomy exhibits in there, which are fun. I think also you can see the telescopes for free, and the "clock gallery" where they have lots of old time pieces.

The planetarium itself you have to pay for though...

The Harrisons Clocks exhibit is fascinating - includes the original clocks he designed to enable ships to time their trips, calculate longitude accurately, and plot courses across the sea.

Also if you're in the piaza outside the O2 dome, check out the paving stones with interesting astro facts on them either side of the meridian line. There's one that says "While you been reading this you've travelled 2700 yds as the Earth rotates" (or some distance like that lol :)

Entrance charges apply to Flamsteed House (including the Time galleries) and the Meridian Courtyard (ages 15 and under go free). A day ticket costs £7 (£5 concessions) or you can buy an annual pass for £10, allowing you to return as many times as you like within 12 months.

Buy your ticket or annual pass online and join the fast queue.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Archived