NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New scope or new mount?- Discuss ;)

Vicky

I'm enjoying the 8" Dob very much when chance to go out coincides with clear (and dark) skies- more than happy 'for now'.

Give it a year or so I can see how the draw of imaging may get stronger, so a question: given I could get an EQ mount/motor for my current scope or another scope altogether for the similar budget (say £700-ish-ish) what might you choose for your money?

I'd want tracking but not so bothered about goto, since I know that would always swallow up valuable budget :)

As I say, just musing really- curious what others might think.

And btw- its DSOs for me I suspect. :)

Best wishes,

Vicky :eek:

funny, i've been thinking the exact same thing. i have the exact same scope, and i was thinking... hmm, get an eq mount for it so i can do some reasonable webcam planetary imaging, or get a bigger dob with tracking, or forget imaging and get something like a skytee. what i really like to do it look at planets, but dsos are cool as well. i dunno.

sorry to jack the thread... just quite a coincidence. btw, what would the minimum mount be for an f6 8" newt? eq5? or heq5? more?

For DSO's I'd be thinking of more aperture rather than a driven mount. A 12" scope seems to mark a sort of watershed in DSO performance and £700 would easily get you that much aperture.

Doh ! - read the post properly John :eek:

Sorry Vicky - I didn't see the word "imaging" in there :)

My suggestion would be useless for imaging of course :)

Hi

Until aperture fever or a sudden desire for the dark side kicks in I would use what you've got and enjoy it.

just keep saving ya pennies until then.:)

Regards Steve

i like it when people say that. i need reminding to stay away from flo's site, and go and look at things with what i have.

First thing about astrophotography: Mount is first and foremost. For good performance with a f/6 8" reflector, you should get at least the EQ6. Why? You need to add at least tube rings and camera to the setup, and that's no negligible weight. Eventually you WILL want (everbody says they want to start small) an autoguider setup, coma corrector, filter wheels, etc. That will add weight to the whole thing. My advice for long term planning (future-proofing)? Keep your dob, get at least an HEQ5, and grab a small APO refractor to start with.

You can image from your existing dob via a suitable web cam on planets and the moon. You can them stack your 'frames' on free software to construct a good composite image. This will help you get started in the dark art (astrophotgraphy) remembering that data capture is only part of the story, data processing is another.

To that end, my honest recommendation to you would in fact be to purchase Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will provide you with a complete overview of what you need, why you need it to achieve the level of imaging that will meet your own expectations. It is so important to have this overview first before spending any money - you need to know what you are getting yourself in to before you make a pact with the 'digital devil'!:):D It's a modestly priced book that will certainly save you money in the longer term. Imaging is 'moorish' for those that have succumbed to its delights but it is also hard work accompanied and does have its frustrations. The key thing is to take your time, especially as you seem to be enjoying yourself with what you've already got.

Clear skies

James

Agree, NEQ6 minimum for your mount. Don't skimp on it.

In imaging, GOTO is not what it is in visual. You need it, in my view. In imaging time is precious. You will never have enough of it and spending twenty minutes finding something is a waste. What, you say, I can find M51 in less than 20 minutes! Sure, but many of your imaging targets will not be visible in the EP at all so you will be searching for star patterns. Groan. Then a cloud comes, you lose your guide star, and... you want GoTo!

Also, taking out the camera to put in an EP is a no-no. Your flats from last night become useless. You will have to re-rotate the camera to reframe precisely. You will need to re-find critical focus. This is not like visual focus! Time, time, time.

Go for Go To, trust me. NEQ6 Pro. It is the budget mount that will do what you ask.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Archived