Help! No idea where to look.

Guys,

I'm hoping you can help?

My father has always wanted a scope. I want to buy him one but don't know where to start looking.

I have looked around the forum (a great one by the way & I frequent alot of different ones :)) but having absolutely no knowledge of this topic myself I was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction.

I don't want to spend anymore than around £350 (I appreciate that is a small amount of £££, loking at some of the costs online). He will be interested at looking at the planets etc, I would assume it will be casual use.

I did look at these but didn't know whether they any good? or you can suggest better alternatives.

Meade ETX 80 AT Special Edition GOTO with Rucksack accessory kit

Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

Would really appreciate some advice

Many Thanks in advance.

:eek:

I would favour the larger aperture given by the Nexstar 127. They're very popular as "first scopes". You'd see a lot more with it than the Meade and it would give you nice sharp views of planets.

It would be a good idea to talk over your requirements with someone. Give First Light Optics (FLO) a ring - their advice and service is excellent :)

(see link at top of any page)

It is very tempting to want to include a GOTO facility with a scope but if the budget is tight, then you might run the risk of purchasing a system that can point you in the right direction, but not have sufficient aperture to recognise the object to make the exercise worthwhile. Aperture (size of mirror/lens) helps resolve detail while the length of the tube helps determine magnification. I agree with brantuck and would advise a phone conversation for the basics and then come back to us to help you fine tune it further through our own experience in using this kit.

James

I would tend to think of an Evostar 90 (~£250) or the bigger 102 (~£325).

They are refractors of reasonable focal length, will show some colour on bright objects but hopefully acceptable. Gives a balance between field of view and magnification that I would say is good.

Being refrator no maintenance. Only "drawback" is they come on an EQ mount and at first glance these can be confusing to get the hang of.

Thanks for coming back guys.

I was looking at the 'goto' as I would imagine that it will help the telescope get more use.

My theory being, if it gets you in the vacinity of what you are going to be looking at then my father is more likely to use it and spend time looking at what he will want to look at.

Is it an expensive 'add-on' ??

Would an option be to spend the £350 on the telescope and buy a 'goto' add-on (if possible) for him for christmas?

Had a look on FIrst Light Optics site and I think the suggestion of the Celestron 127 SLT (£379) would be great for the moon and the planets. The 5" aperture and the tube's long length indicated by the ration "F11.8" would provide for good views of them. Observing what are known as Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) galaxies and nebula won't be as successful as its aperture is insufficient to collect enough light to resolve much detail and is why I made my earlier comments above. Unfortunately there isn't one scope that does it all I'm afraid but as a way of getting your father into astronomy, the Mak 127 would certainly be a good starting point.

James

Personally, I think goto is an expensive add-on (and I have a scope with GoTo, so I'm speaking with experience). You'd have more fun and learn more with a copy of Turn Left at Orion and an 8" telescope, than with a smaller telescope with GoTo. Finding stuff isn't hard once you get the hang of it. Goto has it's fair share of flaws too. One your human goto is calibrated, it will always work. The scopes goto is more error prone and won't work if you run out of power.

Hi Chunks , from my experience with the ETX80 I would go for the 127. The etx 80 have a bit of a reputation of having problems with the GOTO software, mine has caused me a lot of problems in this department. But to be fair to it and give it some credit, it did give me great views of the Moon and my first ever view of Saturn and the Great Nebula in Orion.

Thanks Guys

I tried to give First Optics a ring today but went through to voicemail.

The two scopes I mentioned originally were more to do with the Goto function. This was due to my father having absolutely zero experience and the fact that I'd imagine it to be casual use.

As mentioned earlier, I too have no knowledge of the subject and am purchasing as a present.

Sounds like opinions are mixed about goto. Do you think he will be able to find plenty of stuff to look at without the feature? If he will and you guys have better recommendations, I'll happily follow your lead :eek:

From additional reading, it certainly sounds like I should try for a 6" or above?? Should I do that and spend the money on a better scope without goto??

Please recommend away :)

Thanks

If your father is a beginner then he might be better with a First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian- no mechanics/electronics to worry about- its outside and set up ready to go almost straight away. If you wanted then you could buy him a book such as Turn Left at Orion to get him started.

I'm just learning myself and have found it to be a brilliant way to start to learn about the sky.

I know its not exactly answering the question you posed but if you search on the forums you'll find there are lots of people very happy with this scope.

Hope thiis helps! He's a very lucky man :)

Best wishes,

Vicky

i have both a goto and a simple 12"reflector on a simple dobsonian mount ,now the goto is ok for a quick grab and go and the ,goto is ok and helps my daughter find some things, but she as learnt more by looking round with the reflector am sure if you register with flo`s web site and mail them for a call back they may get in touch a vote for a reflector from me

I decided not to get the goto on my 1st scope, as i could spend more on the scope itself.

Also, i have/had stellarium on the laptop and found using that and having to find stuff made me more aware. Still loads of stuff to learn, but enjoy star hopping.

It's tough giving equipment advice. Lot's of good suggestions already given.

Another option is not to rush a decision, and join an astronomy club. Most of them are friendly and willing to show you what they use. If you are lucky and it is clear for one of their observing events, you may get a look through them. Just do a web search for astronomy clubs in whatever town/county you are.

If you could get your dad to a star party even better. A large one is coming up in Sept in N.Norfolk - http://www.starparty.org.uk/ the pitches will all be booked up,

but day visitors are welcome, and you can stay the evening if it is clear.

Regards, Ed.

Vicky,

As a septuagenerian, I find the GoTo very handy and easier than t'other scope on a GEM although determined to become the UK octogenarian champion polar aligner.

As you seem such a generous person, would you care to adopt me? :)

I've got the 127SLT and it's a great little scope - on the goto question, how technical is your father - not that it's particularly difficult to use, but if he's liable to get bogged down in the setup process he may end up spending those valuable clear skies trying to align etc instead of just viewing! (easily done I should know!) - the 200p Dob and a sky atlas might be another option to consider - having said that, the views of the moon through the SLT are stunning!

I've got the 127SLT and it's a great little scope - on the goto question, how technical is your father

Thats a good point!

He's can turn his hand to most things although struggle's sometimes with his laptop! (about to move him to a tablet, for what he uses, it will be alot easier!! :))

Sorry for drawing this thread out and changing direction but after the responses I'm now thinking to omit the Goto and get a better quality scope.

Would you be kind enough to recommend?

Thanks, its really appreciated :)

Vicky,

As a septuagenerian, I find the GoTo very handy and easier than t'other scope on a GEM although determined to become the UK octogenarian champion polar aligner.

As you seem such a generous person, would you care to adopt me? :)

Hi 'Wrinkly' <lol>

I'd love to adopt you provided you bring your scope with you :)

Best wishes,

Vicky

Archived