Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade LXD75 mount

Crunchard

I have an LXD 75. It is solid as a rock on my steel pier. I had to do some fine tuning of RA and Dec drive backlash, and the main axis in altitude is /was poor, but after fixing that, superb! Send me PM if you like, tell me what the problem is! Could save you lots, and work well for you.

Phil

From what I understand, they are a good mount, but don't have the load carrying ability of the Skywatcher mounts, like the EQ5/6, but there again, they can often be sourced a little cheaper as well, so horses for courses I guess!

• 1 month later...

Take hold of the counter weight bar and gently work the axis in both directions, if everything is perfectly tight & there are no backlash or end play issues the axis will not move. You shouldn't be pushing or pulling so hard on the axis via the counter weight bar you can move it against the clutches, just enough pressure to determine if there is any looseness or play in the axis. If you cannot get your clutches to tighten down enough to resist some light pressure against the axis without slipping we are going to need to fix that now. This is a simple fix, there is a Phillips head screw in the top of each black clutch lever, remove it pull the clutch lever off & reposition it so you can get the clutch tight enough on the axis to resist the light pressure needed to check the worm gears. Put the Phillips head screw back in the clutch handle head and secure it, your done with that!

For further tightening see link below

LXD75_Maintenance_101

Archived