NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what is this??

superjody

I took these on my holiday a couple of weeks ago in lanzarote, I was just playing around with 30 sec exposures seeing what i could pick up.

These same images were taken over about 15-20 mins and i noticed the blue smudge moving as i looked at the images. they werent visible by eye and thats how much it moved within 15-20 mins.

Anyone know what it is or could be??

attachment.php?attachmentid=64206&stc=1&d=1311704844

attachment.php?attachmentid=64207&stc=1&d=1311704844

attachment.php?attachmentid=64208&stc=1&d=1311704844

attachment.php?attachmentid=64209&stc=1&d=1311704844

post-17801-133877638375_thumb.jpg

post-17801-133877638383_thumb.jpg

post-17801-133877638389_thumb.jpg

post-17801-133877638396_thumb.jpg

it was shot on a balcony with no window, the green thing was a wooden thing above

OK....not internal reflection in a window then, but it still looks like an internal reflection of some sort. As the star moves across the sky, the artifact gets progressively further away in the opposite direction, and in the second image it's easy to see that it is almost exactly the same elongated shape, caused by trailing, and the same orientation as the star.

I've seen similar internal lens reflections before, and I would guess that's this is likely to be the cause.

What camera/lens was used?

Rob

Could and i stress could, be a venting satellite

I think that's unlikely as the shape stays the same.

You could easlily see if it's a reflection by duplicating the conditions....you don't need to be in Lanzarote, although it'd be a good excuse to go back !!

Rob

Yeah it's definitely the reflection of Vega. You will notice that the reflection is always opposite of the centre of the lens from Vega, which is a give-away. Also, as Rob says it trails as the star trails.

• 2 months later...

Hi Superjody. Haven't been on here for a long while, and searched the forums for "reflections" as I'm having exactly the same problem. I know this is an old post, but do you use a filter over the lens, like a UV filter or something?

Try it without the filter. I guarantee you won't get the reflections. I have the same problem with a 70-200mm Nikkor lens on my Nikon D70. Nothing can be done. It's a cheap lens. Doesn't happen when I use my 18-55 lens. Can't use any filter on the 70-200 lens at all without getting the reflection, and I recently bought a Baader Neodymium filter before I realised I had the problem. Thought it was down to the Baader filter initially until I discovered I get the same problem with a bog standard UV filter. Hey ho. I use the clone tool in Photoshop quite a lot! :rolleyes:

Archived