Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Public Observatories

Hello,

I've been searching the best I can for public observatories in the UK but can't seem to find any. I would love to take my girlfriend and another friend who's getting into astronomy. Does anyone know of any?

Also, has anybody visited to National Space Centre in Leciester? If so, any good? I've heard it's more for children so don't want to waste a journey travelling down there.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

The Leicester one is a good day out - especially for kid's or adults who are kid's at heart lol. It's a tad expensive and the planetarium shows are extra - but you get a ticket that let's you go back for free for a year. There's loads to see and do plus some smashing historic items (space suits, capsules, rockets, etc from actual missions). Check wich show's are on before you go.

Alternatively - bit closer to you - Jodrell bank is a fascinating visit - especially if they repostion or park the scope - close up it's a massive thing and amazing to see it move. There's also one or two small shows throughout the day and several exhibits. Again check the schedule :)

Edit - I nearly forgot - the Royal Observatory at Greenwich - it's a must - get a cheap off peak return train to London on a Saturday - when I went you could go first class for under £20 each well worth it.

Hello,

Also, has anybody visited to National Space Centre in Leciester? If so, any good? I've heard it's more for children so don't want to waste a journey travelling down there.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

To be honest mate i didnt think that much of it. It is quite expensive but i must admit i was glad i went other wise i would always wonder what i was missing. There was no real guide or anything like that but that might just have been a problem for me and my scatter mind. There is a lot there to see and the 3D show was very good.

Archived