Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A New Elephants Trunk

This is H Alpha only, approx 3.5 hours of data with an ST10XE and my TOA130F at its native focal length.

My first image suffered from heavy noise reduction because the DARK frames didn't scale very well at all.

New DARK frames were made during the day using the wife's refrigerator, 25 were run off with 50 bias frames, all at 800 seconds and at -20degree C, hence the need to use the refrigerator.

I might consider making this into a mosaic and getting the lower frames since there is a lot more going on below the main trunk.

I hope you like it.

post-15658-133877637778_thumb.jpg

I haven't made much of an effort to blend this properly just yet since the second panel needs more time to reduce the noise and to clean up the final image.

I only manage to get 4 usable frames out of a poor night. It didn't clear until 02:00 and then I had to pier flip at 03:30 etc... By then it was already getting to light.

Anyway, it gives you an idea what the finished image will look like.

If the weather co-operates I might be able to finish it this week????

post-15658-133877638334_thumb.jpg

Hi Neil/Slippery/Rob and everyone.

Lovely job on the first pane Neil, I've been looking at this recently as well. It's a beautiful object, that elephant's eye really looks back at you don't it?

How are you going to mosaic? I've always found Maxim has an excellent Mosaic-ing function but I'd be pleased to hear about other routes. The maxim one also snaps the frames into place and has decent gradient removal.

Hope you're all going to be at SSP again this year.

Iain

Slight thread hijack by me but Hi Iain :) no SSP for me this year I'm afraid but MickD will be there.As to the mosaic I've never tried doing one, but with the detail that a larger aperture scope pulls out I'm really tempted to get the Newtonian back on the mount and try Ha only mosaics! Though I've been daunted how you actually put one of them together? making sure you get the right position etc!

Looking forward to seeing the end result Neil!

Matt.

Matt.

I'm also not going to SSP this year unfortunately :-( I have work commitments and also the dates didn't suit since its not in the school holidays etc...

I'm outside now imaging the second pane at them moment. I'm doing everything manually with the cross hairs etc... I'll let you know how it goes...

Nice Trunk Mr Hankey :)

Thread Hijack Ahead...

It's a shame you and Squiddy Boy aren't going to SSP - Just make sure you are at SGL7 next spring.

I've at last got my portable imaging set-up sorted so will be doing some imaging at SSP this time, not just wandering around getting drunk & chatting (although I'm sure some of that may happen occasionally....)

Have fun

Mick

Archived